Motivational Values

At the last Honor’s community meeting, we ranked twenty-five values.  My top five were:  courage (standing up for your beliefs), justice (pursuing what is fair and morally right), integrity (adhering to a moral or ethical code), helping (taking care of others and meeting their needs), and equality (respecting everyone’s right to parity).  The next three on my list (compassion, freedom, and leadership) were also very important to me and these eight values were in flux throughout the ranking activity.

Before collaborating with others to solve a problem, I need to remind myself that there is a balance between listening and participating.  Sometimes valuing courage and justice means I speak without regard for others’ opinions.  On the other hand, when I am valuing equality too much and am trying to give everybody a chance to speak because I undervalue my opinions, I sometimes speak too little. I have to strive for a balance with this.  Others need to know that because I strive for this balance between speaking and listening, I will not respond well to an overly controlling leader in a group; leaders should be guiding forces.

My top values cannot take a back seat to those of others.  If I am in a problem-solving situation where my values conflict with somebody else’s, we will have to find a solution that works for everybody.  I don’t think these values ever need to be compromised.

One thought on “Motivational Values

1. Hi Mary!

You know, I spent a lot of time considering where to rank courage. It ended up being one of my least important values because I was having a difficult time reconciling exactly the issue you seem to be dealing with. How does one act courageously– stand up for their beliefs– without silencing others? I think your resolution is actually quite compelling. By placing equality and helping in tandem with courage, you are constantly negotiating that contentious line.

I’m impressed that you were able to take motivational values as a springboard for understanding what kind of authority you respond well to. Does your response to particular types of authority or leadership help you understand what kind of leader you want to be? Tell me more about how a leader can and should be a guiding force. How does your definition of leadership align with the definition on the cards?

Thanks for posting!

Kylie