Introduction: Mapping Commonplaces

My name is Marguerite J Tucker and I am a Sophomore transfer student at American University in Washington DC. I am a Sociology major on the pre-med track; as a course requirement this semester I took college writing 101. Throughout the semester I researched a specific site in DC as a built environment. The site I chose to research was the Lincoln Theatre on UStreet. Throughout the semester I discovered what the Lincoln Theatre meant to the history and present day of UStreet and I discovered what it meant  to the people from Washington DC and what it meant to tourists of DC. Through this project the Lincoln Theatre was explored as a commonplace, a structure, an idea, and a symbol. In addition to my research this semester, I created Annotated Bibliographies to help guide the direction of my research and what exactly I wanted to discuss in my final project. I created Digital Archives of the Lincoln Theatre and the surrounding area of UStreet to document the physical characteristics of the theatre and its environment. Additionally, my Reading Analyses share my analytical observations and synopsis on others authors’ work, mainly regarding the topic of rhetoric and Built Environments. Check out my Commonplace Book and Extra Stuff to get a closer look at my life journeys, thoughts and ideas about the world as I experience it. My written works regarding the results of my semester research on the Lincoln Theatre, UStreet, as well as my final reflections and thoughts  can be found here; check out the interactive publication I created !

Still Interested in learning more about Marguerite Tucker? No worries, Click here !