Paying for PD: Not all Communication Budgets are Created Equal

I was glancing at this article on Al Jazeera and this article http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/02/cypriot-leaders-resume-unification-talks-201421142920267198.html¬†plus a job posting I recently saw got me thinking: Is it possible with social media and an effective PD strategy to get a small country’s cause or a less popular issue out there.

Do new technologies level the playing field? I was thinking about Cyprus, Nagorno Karabakh, Bahrain’s protest movement, the Baluch in Pakistan, …etc? Can any small group usually a small population ¬†without a hot conflict or a lot of economic influence get an international audience or do the new technologies just amplify the advantages of those who are already well organized and funded?

My hunch is that organizations or areas that had media coverage before will continue to be the stories we hear on the news/ the average person will have heard of and that less popular incidents will remain or get increasingly ushered into obscurity.

I know we touched on this previously in class. I am very interested in what you think.

One comment:

1. I completely agree with your blog post; it is quite difficult for small countries and organizations to gain traction in the media. Although newer technologies make it easier to spread awareness of lesser known causes, much of the different social media facets still focus on bigger issues. The front page of most major news sources these days in the papers or on Facebook is related to Sochi and the Olympics. So how can smaller, less popular incidents step out from the shadows and be recognized?

Technology is expanding and so are the different modes of communication. Taking advantage of these outlets can only help a cause. A camera was set up during the riots in Kiev and a live stream was available with tens of thousands of people watching at any given time. Pictures and messages were tweeted and instagrammed using the tag #EuroMajdan during the riots, showing a more personal side of the event. Both of these new media trends helped bring awareness to a lesser known event.

The unrest in the Ukraine was briefly in the spotlight, thanks to social media. But not all events are so alluring to the public, like the Kiev riots. Like you asked in your blog post, what happens to those without a hot conflict or an exciting video to watch? In these cases, it is definitely more challenging to bring awareness to the public. I do believe, however, that once organizations are able to harness the full power of social media and new technologies, it will be undoubtedly advantageous to their cause.