Commonplace Book: Entry 7

“There were … sacred … rocks — I dunno, they were ancestors, who knows — they were sacred,” said Lawrence. “And you’re not supposed to sit on them, because you’re not supposed to expose your genitalia to them.

“I, however, was in a wetsuit for this whole shoot – oh my god, they were so good for butt itching!”

Waving a glass of white wine and at times unable to speak due to laughter, Lawrence said, “one rock that I was butt-scratchin’ on came loose”, prompting a landslide.

“And all the Hawaiians were like: ‘Oh my god, it’s the curse!’” she said, imitating shaking her first at the sky. “And I’m in the corner going, I’m your curse. I wedged it loose with my ass.”

This past week, everyone’s favorite american girl, Jennifer Lawrence, received disapproval from the public for making fun of Hawaiian’s religious beliefs. While on a talk show, Lawrence shared a controversial anecdote of scratching her butt on Hawaiian sacred rocks. To many, like Lawrence, this may not seem like a big deal. However, in my opinion this conversation portrays how America’s values and morals are being reduced to almost nothing. In America, there is no black or white. Nothing is really set, and everything is acceptable and permissible. As a result, there is a lack of respect towards other human beings who don’t agree with certain things or who believe other things. Instead of making the nation an inclusive one, I think this new way of thinking about everything so casually is destroying America and will continue to divide the nation instead of uniting it.

Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt , during the filming of the Graham Norton Show at The London Studios, south London, to be aired on BBC One on Friday evening. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Thursday December 1, 2016. Photo credit should read: PA Images on behalf of So TV/PA Wire

jlaw-crop