Annotated Bibliography

Brief History of the MPDC.” Metropolitan Police Department, Accessed 5 October 2016.

• This article discusses the beginnings of the Metropolitan Police Department, including information on how Maryland and Virginia ceded land to created Washington D.C.. I’m using this primarily as a background source so readers can get an understanding on where the Department came from and why it was created.

Chen, Jackson. “2 FBI Agents, Detective Killed in D.C. Shooting.Los Angeles Times, 23 November 1994, Accessed 16 October 2016.

• Article from 1994 detailing the shooting at the Metropolitan Police Department HQ involving the perpetrator, two FBI Special Agents and an MPDC detective. I wanted to use this because it is from the time of the shooting so readers could get an idea of what it was like during that period of time.

Get Involved!Metropolitan Police Department, Accessed 4 December 2016.

• This is a link to a very specific part of the Metropolitan Police Department website. It includes links to career opportunities, joining the Metropolitan Police Department, volunteer opportunities for citizens, tip hotlines, and several other resources that I wanted to connect to the Department trying to created a community connection.

Metropolitan Police Department.Metropolitan Police Department, Accessed 4 December 2016.

• This is a link to the Metropolitan Police Department’s home page for their website. My point in showing this was demonstrate how expansive and involved the MPDC website is. It has numerous links to whatever information the user might find useful, including how to report a crime, register a firearm, and become a part of the Metropolitan Police Department.

Security and Policies.Smithsonian, Accessed 25 November 2016.

• This is a link to a Smithsonian page on their website detailing their security protocols to get into their building. The reason I’m including this is because the security system to the Smithsonian is very similar to the security system when you first walk into the Metropolitan Police Department.

Street in front of the White House closed to traffic.History, 1995, Accessed 5 December 2016.

• This page specifies how events like the Oklahoma City Bombing may have influenced the decision to not allow cars to park (or even pass) in front of the White House anymore. While there is still a driveable road directly in front of the Metropolitan Police Department, I used this as speculation as to why there are large concrete barriers in front of the building.

Honoring the Fallen.fbi.gov. N.p., 21 Nov. 2014. Web. 12 Oct. 2016.

• This is another article discussing the 1994 shooting of FBI Special Agents Michael J. Miller, Martha Dixon-Martinez,  and Metropolitan PD Detective Henry J. Daly. It’s worth noting that the name of Daly is wrong in this article. They call him Joseph Daly. The point of this is to give a retrospective background of the shooting.

Law Enforcement Commemorates 20th Anniversary of Deadly Shooting.fbi.gov. N.p., 19 Nov. 2014. Web.

• Brief article regarding the shooting of Henry Daly and two FBI Agents. It also talks about the shooter who is referred to as Bennie Lee Lawson in this article. It gives details on the events as they transpired and the weapon Lawson used, but I did not need these for the purpose of my paper.

Police Districts and Police Service Areas.” N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Oct. 2016.

• Details what parts of the district are divided into which precincts. I wanted to use this to demonstrate that the district may have possibly been divided by crime rates. I don’t have enough evidence to prove this, but I discuss the language used by District commanders in each of the respective seven District’s and how the ones further from 1 (5, 6, and 7) have more references to crime and the presence of public housing.

Police Headquarters.” N.p., n.d. Web.

• Description of the Police HQ building, or the Henry J. Daly building named after the MPDC detective killed during the shooting on November 22, 1994. It also describes a number of services provided in the building, including obtaining clearances, sex offender registration, and firearms registration. The building also houses a DMV branch, parole, and probation offices.

Deeben, John B. “To Protect and Serve: The Records of the D.C. Metropolitan Police, 1861-1930.The National Archives Spring 2008. Web. 9 Oct. 2016.

• This was just more information regarding the background of the creation of the Metropolitan Police Department.

Washington D.C.DC.gov. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Dec. 2016.

• This is a link to the city page. I wanted to use this in a very similar way to the way I wanted to use the MPDC page in demonstrating how expansive the site is. It has useful links to connect citizens to all kinds of resources throughout the city. It serves primarily as a hub for the numerous sites of the organizations connected to the city.