Commonplace 6

“Never cut a tree down in the wintertime. Never make a negative decision in the low time. Never make your most important decisions when you are in your worst moods. Wait. Be patient. The storm will pass. The spring will come.”

– Robert H. Schuller

This quote by Robert Schuller is very powerful and also very accurate in everyone’s lives. I really liked it because I encountered it in a time where it was particularly applicable to my own life, and I thought it would be wise to share and write about it. It is easy to judge things when they’re at their worse or to give up when everything isn’t working for you. What is hard, however, is to keep on battling, holding it together, until the storm passes. This is what draws the line between those who are willing and passionate from those who just let life take its course. In current times, this can be seen in politics. Both Brazil and the US, the countries I’ve lived in, are experiencing this. There has been a mass exodus of Brazilians to places like Florida, Massachusetts, New York and also places in Europe due to our current political turmoil. In America, after the election of the new president, many have thought about leaving to other countries, such as Canada, and others are hopeless in the new administration. What Schuller wants us to believe though is that yes, there will be a storm, but a spring will come. It is inevitable. His last three sentences are very well elaborated, with the periods in between them having almost what one could consider a soothing effect. The slow and paused pace of his writing allows the reader to take a breath and take in the message of his text. For the times where we feel down and hopeless, we must wait, be patient because surely the storm will pass and spring will come.