Research Portfolio Post #9: End of Term Mentor Meeting

My mentor, Professor Jackson and I met for around 45 minutes on Thursday, December 5th. I began the meeting by mentioning that I am choosing interpretivism for my research methodology for my final narrative paper, and then detailed decisions I made in my interpretivist research design and the implications those have for my research.

We also reflected on how my topic has changed since August at the beginning of SISU 206. I began my research with a focus on religion, but as of right now, religion does not seem to be relevant to my topic (unless I end up finding it tied into the discourse I am analyzing).

We went over things Professor Boesenecker told me to think about in my project, such as how not to reduce the discourse I am analyzing down to party rhetoric and broaden it. Professor Jackson also detailed that discourse is more than just official government statements, but also how the actors present themselves, looking at things like appearance, how they speak, and the setting in which they are speaking.

As for next steps looking forward to SISU 306, I told Professor Jackson I was having trouble finding certain Canadian government documents, specifically official records of Parliamentary votes and debates from before 2000. I told him I tried using the AU databases to find these, but unfortunately, many of those dealing with foreign government documents have outdated links. To address this, he told me to book an appointment with Clement Ho to find more primary sources. Also, because some of the documents I need might not be digitized yet, Professor Jackson mentioned going to the Canadian Embassy, as they might have publications of those documents. He also recommended booking a short appointment with Professor Schroeder to ask about where to start looking to gain knowledge on Canadian politics, as I am rather unfamiliar with it.

For reading over break, Professor Jackson gave me a book to read called Ozone Discourses by Karen Litfin. Although this book does not cover my specific topic area, it might be helpful for me to analyze the methods used in her research, specifically looking at discourse analysis of climate change among governments.

As for questions for SISU 306:

-How does the structure of the class vary from 206? Will we be mostly researching in class or in our own time?

One thought on “Research Portfolio Post #9: End of Term Mentor Meeting”

1. Carly — it sounds like you had a productive meeting with Dr. Jackson to round out the fall semester. It is a good idea to keep *all* of the resources you have available to you (including our research librarians!) as you continue your work. To answer your question, a great deal of your research in SISU-306 will be independent research (outside of class), though there are some workshop sessions built into 306 similar to the way that we would have workshop sessions in SISU-206.