January 19, 2015 - cl3418a

Climate Change Science, Politics, and Policy: My Experience

In my first semester at American University, I had the opportunity to participate in HNRS: 200 Climate Change Science, Politics, and Policy as a part of the honors program. The students were faced with an international problem, the likes of which the world has never experienced before. Not only does this issue require creative problem solving, but it also demands the cooperation of the entire international community. To begin the class, we analyzed the science behind climate change and possible solutions the scientific community has begun to develop. Creating new and sustainable technologies to combat climate change is only the first step to address the issue. The implementation of these solutions presents a colossal task that requires an unprecedented amount of international cooperation. Through the mock negotiation exercise, I learned about the vastly different interests of nations. How the nations interact to try to make a global change involves painstaking efforts. I was able to develop problem-solving skills in this exercise by enabling as much action in the negotiation as possible without undermining my nation’s essential values. I learned to communicate with representatives of other nations to compromise on important issues. As a result of the mock negotiation exercise, I learned that any amount of progress or cooperation in an international negotiation is a success. I now acknowledge the importance of approaching a problem from multiple levels: not merely the international level, but also regional, national, local, and individual. Part of effectively solving a problem is utilizing all possible approaches in hopes that the combination will be successful.

Uncategorized #ProblemSolving / #Year1Spring / Honors14 /