February 3, 2015 - cl3418a

Values

Recently, the Honors 2018 community completed an activity in which we ranked a set of values. Although it was a very difficult task, I finally settled on an order. Among my top five values were compassion, responsibility, helping, spiritual growth, and family. As I began to discuss values with other students, it became very clear to me that our prioritized values truly determine a lot about who we are. By listening to other perspectives, I began to more deeply understand my classmates. It made me realize that, while working in a team, it could be important to know my teammate’s values. Values indicate purpose and how best to collaborate with someone. When collaborating with others to solve a problem, I must acknowledge my prioritization of innovative and creative ideas, an optimistic and dedicated attitude, and a way of connecting the issue to a greater purpose (given definition of Spiritual Growth). Additionally, I like being able to connect people to whatever I’m working on. I want to know how I can help. In my mind, life is only meaningful when I can help others. While solving a problem with a group, they should be aware of how much I value compassion and helping. To me, it would be unacceptable to put these values behind most others. My values of innovation and responsibility would also be helpful for teammates to know of, as they define my work ethic. Spiritual growth and family could take slightly more of a back seat. These mostly apply to my personal life, so it would not matter so much to me to do so.

Uncategorized #Year1Spring / CommunityMeeting / Honors14 / MotivationalValues /

Comments

• Kylie Musolf says:

Hi Carly!

The thing that I really appreciate about your post is where you claim that “values indicate purpose and how best to collaborate with someone.” In the world of marketing and communications, there is much talk about “value propositions.” A value proposition is the answer to the question, “Why?” “Why am I doing this?” “Why does this matter?” A value proposition answers, “Because…” It speaks to shared or personal values, demonstrating the purpose or objective of a given task or opportunity.

One thing that I’ve found really helpful in my own life is to really define and refine my “Because…” for any activity that I choose to do, and any job I’m assigned. It not only helps me achieve clarity of purpose, but that clarity of purpose really motivates my approach to the task or opportunity at hand.

The way you articulate your approach to working in a team is really helpful to me– you say that you have to acknowledge your priorities. I wonder if you could elaborate: how do you think the acknowledgement of individual priorities would help you achieve success on a group project?

I won’t go on for much longer, but I’m also really interested in your distinction between a work ethic and a personal ethic. What kind of strategies do you employ for understanding those distinct ethics as you navigate different situations?

Thanks for posting!

Kylie