3 thoughts to “Final Research Design Presentation”

1. Hey Claudia,

I think you have a strong research design setup. I also think you have a strong explanation for why you have chosen class as a variable when comparing pro-democracy movements. If you have not in your paper already, definitely explain further why social media and the nature of demonstrations are also important independent variables. You mentioned at one point in your presentation that movements started by lower class people have more of an emotional undertone because of the urgency. Have you considered emotions as a potential independent variable? If you have thought about this, why did you ultimately decide on the choices you made? Lastly, I think you made a strong case for why your research design will generate valuable knowledge in the study of democracy and class relations.

2. Claudia ,

I think you did a great job in setting out and distinguishing the focus of you research: class role in the Arab Spring and larger social movements. I think there could be areas where you could work to clarify for the reader as well as explain context/ background on your topic and how it is puzzling.
    For you literature review: What methods do Stylists and scholars in the Stylist group employ specifically in explaining . Specifically, how is class regarding activism not given credit? In what ways would your research of class work within the scholarly arguments. Are you proposing that is lies somewhere between Stylists and Consequentialists or that it should be in it’s own? If you are stating that class has been determined in way that is thorough or as relevant to the Arab Spring Movements, how would your puzzle engage within the literature?
    I think these questions may be good in establishing the context of your question and connecting your hypothesis and outcomes to theory.

Also, I think you could be more specific in how criteria evaluative standards apply to your research in particular. For validity, mention generalizability and how to possibly apply this methodology and topic to broader contexts outside of the Arab Spring or broader social movements as a whole. I think mentioning trade offs in your methodology and use of specific case in limiting your ability for generalizability. I think it would also be good to further discuss selection bias and account for the occurrence of preliminary knowledge playing into the selections of cases within the Arab Spring and unable to discuss particular representativeness of particular countries or its frequency relative to movements. I think these would be great things to add and discuss in you FNP and clarify for the reader as it applies to your project.

Overall, I think you’ve clearly done a lot of research and I think your hypotheses of the role class plays in social movements is getting at something really interesting! I look forward to how your project will evolve with your findings

3. Claudia, I think this is is an issue I have always subconsciously thought about but was never able to put into words. Your puzzle is indeed a really interesting one and I think your design so far looks great! I had some thoughts, however:

– You have very interesting variables but I wonder if would also be of value to focus on not only the prevalence of social media but also how social media can often act as a divisive force and further class divides due to problems of access?
    – Since you’re doing typology, strong hypotheses are important and yours, in my opinion, seem to be super valuable to your research and really well explained!
    – it could also be interesting, potentially, to conduct a Mill’s style method of comparison and see how your findings compare to the findings of cases like Syria, Yemen or Bahrain, which as you said differ from these significantly. Obviously, this doesn’t have to be in your purview right now but could be interesting for potential future research!

Again, I love your focus on the intersection of class and activism – its a very important conversation that needs to be had more! I look forward to reading your work next semester.