Spring 2018 Teaching Enhancement Grants
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: The Spring 2018 submission deadline is January 26, 2018. Grant awardees will be notified by February 2, 2018.
The Teaching Enhancement Grant is designed to help faculty enhance student learning during a single course. With this grant, faculty may be reimbursed for classroom expenditures up to $100.
Ground Rules for Use of Funding
- Funds may be used for such purposes as honoraria for outside speakers or materials that are “used up” during the course (e.g., short-term subscription to online teaching tools, special materials for a science or arts course that do not have a lab fee). Funds may not be used for basic “school supplies” (e.g., poster board, markers).
- Grants can 1) be made directly to a faculty member, or 2) be transferred to an academic department or program budget.
- Grants will not be awarded to applicants requesting funding for international honoraria.
- Materials that are durable (e.g., books, DVDs) become the property of the university, though they may be used by the recipients for subsequent course offerings.
- Grants must be used for the item(s) listed in the recipient’s application.
- Grants are not designed to support faculty research or conference attendance.
- Grants cannot be used for food or gift certificates for food.
- Grants will not be awarded to applicants requesting funds for expenditures that have already been incurred.
- Grants are made only once for a specific teaching enhancement (e.g., an honorarium for a guest lecturer). Faculty seeking funding for the same (or very similar) teaching enhancement in a subsequent course are encouraged to explore funding possibilities with their academic department or program.
- Recipients are asked to submit a brief report (c. 50-75 words) summarizing the pedagogical outcome of their award.
- Awards must be used by the end of the awarding semester and all original receipts for reimbursement submitted to CTRL in Hurst Hall 214.
If you have questions, please contact CTRL (firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-885-2117).