Diego Alemán is a freshman in the Frederick Douglass Distinguished Scholars Program. Originally hailing from Utah, he intends to major in Sociology in the College of Arts and Sciences. After graduation, he plans to continue his education to obtain his Ph.D and work as a professor, studying issues surrounding Latino youth and higher education
American University Expected Graduation: May 2018
Recipient of the Frederick Douglass Distinguished Scholars Scholarship
West High School Graduation: May 2014
Ranked 52 out of 559. Top 15%. 3.82 GPA. Enrolled in Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate program.
- AP English Literature (3.83 GPA)
- AP Human Geography (4.00 GPA)
- AP Psychology (3.83 GPA)
- AP US History (3.83 GPA; 4 on AP exam)
- AP/IB Spanish (3.41 GPA)
- IB Math Standard Level (3.83 GPA)
- AP Statistics (2013-14)
- IB Geography (Higher level; 2013-14)
- IB Psychology (Higher Level; 2013-14)
- IB English (Higher Level; 2013-14)
- AP/IB Environmental Science (2013-14)
Scored 34 on ACT (Spring 2013).
Extended Learning Program (ELP) at West High School
August 2008-May 2010
Enrolled in Salt Lake City’s magnet gifted and talented program.
Extended Learning Program (ELP) at Whittier Elementary
January 2005-May 2008
Accepted in Salt Lake City’s magnet gifted and talented program.
Leadership & Activism
Red & Black newspaper
August 2006 to May 2014
West High school newspaper.
• Editor in Chief, August 2013 to May 2014.
• Features and Accents Editor, August 2007 to May 2014.
National Hispanic Institute Youth Leadership
June 2011, June 212, June 2013
The National Hispanic Institute is an international nonprofit organization dedicated to serving the future leadership needs of the global Hispanic community. They sponsor several leadership camps for Latino youth. • Attended The Great Debate, 2011 at Texas A&M Kingsville in Kingsville, TX. Focused on written and verbal communication as a powerful tool of leadership.
• Attended The Lorenzo de Zavala Youth Legislative Session, 2012 at Georgetown University in Georgetown, TX. Focused on the organization and management of power as a foundational tool of leadership.
• Attended the Collegiate World Series, 2013 at University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, TX. Focused on the power of positioning as a foundation tool of leadership.
Mestizo Arts & Activism Collective
August 2006 to June 2014
A University of Utah campus-community partnership, MAA is a youth activism think tank that meets twice a week to promote critical thinking, research skills, and higher education through the creation of art projects as a form of activism by students of color on the West Side of Salt Lake City.
• Will serve on the MAA exploratory committee to plan the future of MAA, 2013 to 2014.
West High Senate
August 2013 to May 2014
Representative of the Red & Black.
National Honor Society
August 2006 to May 2014
West High Track
August 2010 to May 2014
Region II Champion, Boys 400m Dash. 2nd place Region II, Boys 1600m Relay in 2011, 2012, 2013.
West High Cross Country
Fall 2011, Fall 2013
Mariachi Juvenil de Utah
August 2006 to May 2010
Played guitar and viheula.
Hispanic Dance Alliance Ballet Folklorico
2008 to 2010
Venceremos newspaper & West View newspaper
Published articles about systemic racism in the educational system.
Nati Bulcho – FDDS Mentor
Nkem Chukwuma – FDDS Mentor
Tamaara Bostwick – FDDS Mentor
Larry P. Tomas – FDDS Program Director
Intern at Voto Latino
Intended to Major in Sociology