Cover letter is an important document that you must provide at the time of an interview along with the resume. In other words you can say that a strategically targeted cover letter acts the most essential weapon for fighting the battle of job searching process and winning it. But it is never a child’s play to write a strategic cover letter.
Many students search the samples of cover letter on the Internet. You can find many samples and templates of cover letter on the Internet but even if you take the best letter template there is no guarantee that it will impress your employer. So, it is very essential that you know all the tactics of writing an impressive cover letter that will surely impress your employer and increase your chance of landing the job. Also, once a person is hired, he should also know how to accept a job offer through job acceptance letter & formatting it the best way. So in this article we have come up with five essential tips that you should consider at the time of writing a cover letter and it will certainly help you to standout from others:
- Keep it simple: Make sure that your cover letter is simple and straightforward. Before you write an effective cover letter think about how many job applications does your hiring manager has to sort every day. During such condition it is obvious that the hiring manager have only a few seconds to watch your cover letter and go through it. That means your cover letter has to make an impact on the hiring manager within that few seconds. So, it is always advisable not to write too much on the cover letter so that it does not looks like a daunting wall of text to the hiring manager. In such case what will happen is that the hiring manager will not give proper attention to your cover letter. So, be simple and straightforward and instead of writing in paragraph cover your points in bullet as much as possible so that the hiring manager can read and digest it more quickly.
- Tailor your cover letter: Never copy-paste the cover letter from any source. You must tailor your cover letter for the position and the company that you have applied for. It is very essential to customize the cover letter because it shows the hiring manager that you have researched the company as well as the position that you have applied for. If you do not tailor your cover letter the hiring manager will think that you have used template and in such it will not be worth.
- Tell you qualities to the hiring manager: Many people make a major mistake while writing a cover letter that they cover everything that is there in the resume. But resume and cover letter are entirely different thing and solve different purpose. Resume is used to highlight what you have achieved but through cover letter you can tell your hiring manager about what you can do for them and why you are the fittest for the position that you are applying for.
- Keep education history to minimum: It is true that you have worked very hard for your degree but when it comes to employment the employer only cares about the work experience. So, instead of writing too much on educational experience you should focus on your work experience and try to show the hiring manager how you can tackle the critical situation.
- Avoid the unnecessary facts: Avoid disclosing any unnecessary information in the cover letter. The hiring manager neither has time to read the unnecessary things nor are they interested to do so. In fact, it will lessen your chance of impressing the hiring manager and so include that much which is absolutely necessary.