GrossE_AnnotatedBibliography

1. New Community Church

This source is the website of the church and it provides us with insight on the background of what is now the New Community Church and its current missions. The Church had previously been in the center of a neighborhood (Shaw, DC) that was besieged by crime, drugs, and poverty. The area and the church itself were in clear need of improvement. Today, although there is still much work to be done, the New Community Church has made a drastic improvement and the neighborhood of Shaw has become gentrified. It’s currently diverse in membership and located in a racially, culturally, and economically mixed area.

Purpose #1:

This source can be useful in describing what Shaw was like pre-gentrification. This will provide readers with insight on the huge difference there was between how things used to be and how they are now. There was a huge improvement and Shaw only continues to get better with time. I can go into depth about the crime rate, drug problem, and poverty among people.

Purpose #2:

For my digital description, I am able to draw conclusions about the inclusive personality of the church based on the open layout of their official website. I can analyze cover photo and the easy accessible descriptions under each category: History, Membership, Sunday Mornings, etc. The contact information at the bottom of each page implies communication is important to the church and they are open to hearing from new people. I can discuss the role of the photographs in their gallery and the professionalism of the website itself like how easy or hard it is to navigate.

“New Community Church.” New Community Church. Word Press, n.d. Web. 14 Dec. 2016. <http://newcommunitychurchdc.org/>.

2) U.S Census Bureau

This is an important primary source that gives 2010 census data on the presence of different race and ethnicities existing in Shaw, Washington DC (where the New Community Church is located). The data shows the neighborhood is 48.8% Black, 30.7% White, 10.6% Hispanic, 7.1% Asian, 1.9% mixed, and 0.9% other.

With these statistics, I will be able to make my argument about how the people living in the area has caused the New Community Church to have a very diverse group of original members. The As I learned through other sources listed, the church is place of acceptance and although Shaw, DC has been gentrified, the church remains the same in the hopes of keeping their original members integrated with their organization.

“Race and Ethnicity in Shaw, Washington, District of Columbia (Neighborhood).” Race and Ethnicity in Shaw, Washington, District of Columbia (Neighborhood) – Statistical Atlas. Cedar Lake Ventures, 22 Apr. 2015. Web. 14 Dec. 2016. <http://statisticalatlas.com/neighborhood/District-of-Columbia/Washington/Shaw/Race-and-Ethnicity>.

3) Washington Post

Shaw used to be a lower-class and historically African American neighborhood. Shaw has been gentrified and is now one of the richest places in the district. The neighborhood wanted to keep its longtime residents and because of the upgrade, they needed to make housing more affordable. This allows people with low-income to also experience the gentrification by providing them with affordable housing and private rooms. Shaw strived for a neighborhood in which expensive and inexpensive housing can stand next to each other.

Stein, Perry. “Is Pricey Shaw a Model for Retaining Affordability amid Regentrification?” The Washington Post. WP Company, 21 May 2015. Web. 14 Dec. 2016. <https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/is-pricey-shaw-a-model-for-retaining-affordability-amidst-regentrification/2015/05/21/912f3504-ffde-11e4-805c-c3f407e5a9e9_story.html?utm_term=.e3ff9c2203ff>.

4) The New York Times – Shaw Neighborhood

This article provides us with a clear idea of the ways in which Shaw has been gentrified and additions to the neighborhood that have helped it improve. The gentrified version of Shaw DC is a top notch neighborhood in DC despite their rocky past in the 1960’s. Now, Shaw is a stylish area, consisting of trendy stores such as Chrome Industries and Warby Parker as well as residential buildings that have attracted people of a higher class. In addition to all of the expensive, gentrified areas, the area offers affordable housing for longtime residents. “It’s bittersweet, because new is always good, but it’s hard to accept when you miss the old.” (Stephenson)

I will use this source to support my statement that Shaw, DC is a gentrified area. The source describes so much modern, high-end aspects about the area and adding on this information will only further the reader’s understanding about the extent to which Shaw has been gentrified. In my BED, I talk about how the goal of the church was to maintain their old members and inviting features.

Meyer, Eugene L. “Washington’s Shaw Neighborhood Is Remade for Young Urbanites.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 01 Dec. 2015. Web. 14 Dec. 2016. <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/realestate/commercial/development-redefines-character-of-washingtons-shaw-area.html?_r=0>.

5) DCinno (pros and cons of living in shaw, dc)

This site gives pros and cons about living in the Shaw/Bloomingdale neighborhood. For example, due to all the installations of new restaurants and shops, the area has become much more lively. Some of the cons are its close proximity to Howard University. College kids roam the area and parties until late hours in the day. This would not be a recommended place for individuals trying to raise a family. There two supermarkets in the area, but mostly the neighborhood is filled with liquor stores, art galleries etc. Nothing in the area exactly screams “child friendly.”

With this insight on the area, I will be able to expand on describing the type of people living in Shaw. I am able to draw conclusions from these pros & cons and make assumptions such as that Shaw is not the ideal place that families raising children would pick over other neighborhoods. As a result of this, I can make further conclusions about the reason for the physical location of the children’s place in the church. Although the church is inclusive, I believe that the children’s area is placed in the basement in a somewhat hard to find spot because they know the majority of people living in Shaw are not children.

Pyle, Sophie S. “The Pros and Cons of Living in Shaw and Bloomingdale.” DC Inno. DCInno, 27 Feb. 2014. Web. 14 Dec. 2016. <http://dcinno.streetwise.co/2014/02/27/the-pros-and-cons-of-living-in-shaw-and-bloomingdale/>.

6) Truth-out (White population statistics)

This website mainly discusses the Anacostia’s neighborhood, which is similar in many ways to Shaw. There is a section in this article that gives a specific statistic about the white population in the Shaw area and the large increase from 2001-2010. In 2001, 5.6% of the population was made up of white people and in 2010 the number increased to 32.8%. This rise made a huge difference in the neighborhood and contributes to the reason the area was gentrified. A man named Moulden argues that when the neighborhood was gentrified, the white population rose causing bike lanes to finally be installed in the area.

My purpose for choosing this source, is because it gives me the exact statistic that I need to make a convincing claim about how much the white population grew. This will help the reader understand why one might conclude that as the years go by, that statistic will only continue to rise, thus seeming to push out the people of color in the neighborhood. Although Shaw provides their original members with some affordable housing, things are still not looking up for the lower class people that lived in the gentrifying area. It is likely that the

Khalek, Rania. “DC’s Poorest Residents Fight Displacement by Gentrification.” Truthout. Truthout, 31 Jan. 2014. Web. 14 Dec. 2016. <http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/21563-poorest-residents-fight-displacement-by-gentrification>.

7) District of Columbia Crime Rates

This page is filled with public records and rates of crime and violence in the District of Columbia. Data is shown from 1960 (when crime rates were supposedly at their worst) -2015 (when crime rates have gotten better due to the gentrification of the area. In 1969, the rate of violence was at its all time high of 17,038 and in 2015, it dropped down to 1,269.1. The rate of burglary in 1969 was at 22,902 and in 2015, it was at 442.0.

This data will serve as evidence proving how bad the area of Shaw was before it was gentrified. Using this data in my final project will further support my claim that Shaw has been gentrified and ever since, crime and violence rates have gone down drastically. Lower class people who feel that they are being pushed out of the neighborhood may argue that the increase in white residents as well as the gentrification of the area has not been beneficial. That is a biased opinion and the numbers I found are facts that cannot be argued with. The decrease in crime and violence is a good thing.

“District of Columbia Crime Rates 1960 – 2015.” District of Columbia Crime Rates 1960 – 2015. N.p., 1997-2016. Web. 14 Dec. 2016. <http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/dccrime.htm>.

8) Poll: White residents in D.C. think redevelopment helps them. Black residents don’t.

This article in the Washington Post displays the perfect conversation between people the two groups with contradicting views on the gentrification of Shaw. The majority of the white residents are happy about the new renovations. They have the right income to shop at the new stores and are able to afford the more expensive housing that was installed. The majority of the black residents are not thrilled with this change. They don’t have a high income and were used to paying a much lower price to have a roof over their head. Many quotes from each side are given in the text as well.

This article could be beneficial to my project because it is able to give me a better idea of the way residents in Shaw feel about the improvements. I had a general idea, but this article provides quotes directly from the source of people that I am making assumptions about. Just because the area has become more high-end, does not mean the people living there were prepared for that adjustment. Adding in a few quotes from the lower class and the more upper class would be a great supporting factor in my essay. It will help better the reader’s understanding of how it affected everyone and why it is so important to have such a welcoming place like the New Community Church in the neighborhood.

Schwartzman, Paul, Abigail Hauslohner, and Scott Clement. “Poll: White Residents in D.C. Think Redevelopment Helps Them. Black Residents Don’t.” The Washington Post. WP Company, 20 Nov. 2015. Web. 14 Dec. 2016. <https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/poll-white-and-wealthy-residents-in-dc-think-redevelopment-helps-them-black-and-poor-residents-dont/2015/11/19/bb7acbca-8ed6-11e5-ae1f-af46b7df8483_story.html?utm_term=.b96d983f9d2c>.

9) One DC

This is the website of an organization called “One DC” that values the equality of all people living in the community of Shaw DC. “One DC” was created during 1997 in the midst of the progressive change occurring in the neighborhood. Although they’re keen on ensuring that people of color and lower income are properly accommodated for and are not forgotten about, their main goal is to teach them how to act as leaders who can speak for themselves. This will allow them to build up power in a place that in the progress of providing them with so little.

The purpose of this website in my final project would be to give an example of a group of people who are making the effort to keep equality for all in the community. The lower class and people of color feel that they are being pushed out of the community due to the gentrification and increase in white residents. As seen through other sources, from the perspective of the POC, the improvements to the area are not a good thing in their eyes. It just means they are becoming more unable to afford basic necessities. I believe the “One DC” organization is glimpse of hope to them and keeps them feeling less displaced. I will connect the importance of groups like “One DC” to the importance of the church and displaying its values through its physical attributions.

Cook, Claire. “ONE DC.” ONE DC. Organizing Neighborhood Equity, 30 Nov. 2016. Web. 14 Dec. 2016. <http://www.onedconline.org/>.

10) DC Housing Affordability Crisis

This websites provides line graphs displaying the increase in population, demand for housing, expenses of housing. It is a summary of what has been happening in a more specific way. The first graph shows that the rise in population creates a rise in housing demand. The second graph shows how the housing supply stalled during the economic decline. This led to the price increase that I believe caused many people to feel displaced and “pushed out” of Shaw. They couldn’t afford it. The third graph follows in the previous graph displaying data showing that housing is becoming less affordable. Fourth graphs shows how affordable housing stock is declining. Fifth graph shows that although rent is increasing, many can’t afford it. Sixth graph shows “Rent in DC is rising faster than income, especially for lower-income and working-class renters.” The seventh graph shows “For the District’s lower-income and working-class renters, the rent is “too * high”

Essentially, all of these graphs give me accurate, visible evidence that housing is becoming more scarce, the prices are going up, and people are unable to afford it because they aren’t making income fast enough. These graphs give me data to refer to when describing what was happening between different years and how it affected the people living in the area. This kind of data is not arguable because it shows facts.

Zippel, Claire. “DC’s Housing Affordability Crisis, in 7 Charts.” DC’s Housing Affordability Crisis, in 7 Charts – Greater Greater Washington. N.p., 30 Apr. 2015. Web. 14 Dec. 2016. <http://ggwash.org/view/37967/dcs-housing-affordability-crisis-in-7-charts>.