Commonplace #15: “Good Life” by Kehlani and G-Eazy

I am not a major fan of this song, but it seemed fitting for my last commonplace to be lyrics by the most popular Bay Area artists of the moment. I chose to to focus on the pre-hook of Kehlani singing.

“Raise up a cup up for all my day ones
Two middle fingers for the haters
Life’s only getting greater
Straight up from nothing we go
Higher than the highest skyscraper
No Little League, we major
The proof is in the paper”

This passage stuck out to me due to it’s fun meaning and upbeat vibe. Both of these artists grew up in impoverished areas and these lyrics celebrate the success. The imagery of the skyscraper sticks out to me due to the comparison between gaining success and how high a skyscraper is. Kehlani’s rhetoric relies on slang and unfinished sentences. The song’s message Kehlani’s music tends to have a carefree vibe, but here major themes are love and understanding. This track is featured in the new Fast and Furious movie, and Kehlani’s voice doesn’t really sound like hers, it sounds like generic female vocals in a big Hollywood movie. This is the 2nd movie orientated song Kehlani has been on and I’m disappointed on how this song blew up more than “Gangsta” for Suicide Squad. This collab between G-Eazy and Kehlani resonates Bay Area vibes, represents how they’ve overcome a lot of challenges, and are now billboarding climbing artists.