Evan Margiotta

Evan Margiotta

View more posts from this author
3 thoughts on “Research Design Presentation
  1. Avatar Price

This research design seemed very well though out and thorough.

When discussing the operationalization of the dependent variable, is there a way to discuss scholars who may believe that eviction is not a form of structural violence? If not including as a conceptual bucket, could you acknowledge why this standard is held throughout the research?

Additionally, are there alternative geographic statistical analyses that you are choosing not to adopt? If so, what are they, and why? You justify why you chose your geographic statistical analyses, but if there are any alternatives, it would be helpful to hear what they are and why you did not choose them.

Could you explain more in depth the generalizability of your research, or be clear about your research scope? There are many control variables across census tracts, but are there any across cities in the US? Or if the scope is limited to DC, what are the differences causing you to limit the scope?

Reply
    1. Avatar Price

Thought*

Additionally, the use of a gentrification index seems very effective. I do wonder, what justifications are there for your control variables?

Do you plan on selecting tracts with similar measures of each of the controls (to use Mill’s method of difference), or have you found that there are general similarities between the tracts using those variables? Are there any other possible confounding variables that are at least partially controlled, such as proximity to health care/access to (as opposed to simply level of) education, that can be considered as changing the eviction rate?

Reply
  2. Avatar Rachel Rubin

Evan,

I will leave my comments in the order I have written them down while observing your presentation. First, your conceptual groupings: it makes sense that you hope to focus on the power dynamics at play in regards to eviction, and it’s brilliant that you recognize the tension of delving deeply into an amorphous, nonlinear approach to displacement when your actual research is supposedly very linear. One of the small suggestions I have in order to ameliorate this tension is to also acknowledge that the neoclassical literature, in focusing on rent and economic demand, is- inherently- also addressing the power dynamics of capitalism. As you have probably observed, these two conceptual buckets do have more overlap than is initially evident, so it may help for you to acknowledge, explicitly, that even the linear economic focus of neoclassical scholars is also, at its core, about inequality and power.

Next, as I have suggested to Price, the safest bet is always to define your terms, even if you think they are straightforward or obvious. In your introductory section of your final paper, it may help to take the brief time to specifically identify exactly what a census tract is.

My final critique is that, although your research is strictly statistical, it may be worth it to expand in your final section about the broader implications of what eviction means for both the physical health and economic well-being of the evictee so as to give your audience a bit more vested interest in understanding, and ultimately preventing, some of these correlatory factors of eviction.

Otherwise, your entire composition of research choices is excellent; I am impressed, as usual, at your depth of thought and careful considerations in regards to the subject. I look forward to seeing the final result.

Reply