ELLIE PFOHL

American University College Writing 101 Spring 2017

Commonplace 6

1. When Mary makes her famous chicken parmesan dinner, Jim likes to eat chili.

Because I started my sentence with ‘when,’ the first clause isn’t independent (it can’t stand alone). Next up, we have the first subject and verb – ‘Mary makes.’ The ‘when’ makes it so that the action of Mary making something leads to another thing happening; in this case, ‘Jim likes to eat chili.’ This phrase is allowed to stand alone because there’s no subordinate conjunction attached to it.

2. For Fleming, then, composition courses, which traditionally have asked students to write aggressive, opinionated arguments, should instead have students listen, learn, and respond.  In other words, work to compromise to resolve issues rather than just end with a one-sided argument. In our projects, we are just adding to the public discourse by researching and responding rather than harshly arguing our own opinion.

3. That clip definitely made me think about why I don’t often raise my hand in class. It effectively appealed to pathos; when he started crying I almost teared up too. Personally, I thought about women specifically and how they are often looked over in conversations. When a young girl raises her hand in class, she’s seen as a know-it-all. When a young boy raises his hand, he’s simply seen as smart. There shouldn’t be a stigma in knowing the answer and wanting to share or get recognition in knowing it. I know it’s a real thing because I too have a hard time raising my hand in class because I don’t want to a. be humiliated if I’m wrong, b. be seen as too smart or a show off, or c. be seen as out of place, especially because I’m not usually one to talk aloud in class. I’m glad that this professor takes initiative in teaching his students to not back down and always raise their hands, always contribute to the discourse even if they may be wrong. No one should be afraid to voice their opinion, especially if they’re just answering a question asked of them in a classroom setting.