ELLIE PFOHL

American University College Writing 101 Spring 2017

Commonplace 13

One of my favorite quotes of all time is from Dr. Charlotte on the ABC show “Private Practice” (a sub-par spin off of “Grey’s Anatomy”). On the show, Charlotte’s husband (who is also a doctor) was criticizing her for constantly striving to be her best self. In response, she says

“I am too much woman for you. I have more money. I picked a specialty that makes you nervous. I bought your way into the practice. I’m strong and I’m comfortable with being strong and I like that I’m strong. And if that is too much woman for you; if that makes your junk feel tiny… I’m not gonna make myself smaller. I’m not gonna put myself in a box so that you feel like a big man. I am a big woman and you either get used to it you or get out” (Season 3, Episode 5). 

To me, Charlotte is such an icon because she represents the modern-day working woman. When she sees something she wants, she reaches out to grab it with both hands. She doesn’t let anyone get in her way. (Now, I know it’s just a TV show, but I also know that there’s very real women out there working against gender discrimination right now just like Charlotte. The discrimination she faces in her field every day isn’t a work of fiction). Somehow Charlotte is able to find the strength to still achieve and stand above people who shoot her down like her husband. My favorite part is at the end when she says “you either get used to it or you get out.” She commands attention, and although many (jealous) men may label her as a bossy b*tch, Charlotte knows that they’re just jealous cause they weren’t born with her commanding presence and drive to achieve.