ELLIE PFOHL

American University College Writing 101 Spring 2017

G = Georgetown University

As a student at American University, I don’t have much knowledge of what it’s like to be a Hoya. (I don’t even know what a hoya is…is it a dog?) The only information I’ve gathered is from the 1980’s movie St. Elmo’s Fire starring the Brat Pack. I know GU students frequent the Tombs, discuss politics, and have a more profitable and successful athletic department than American University, but that’s about it.

As far as Georgetown University’s relevance to Georgetown, I believe it’s the other way around. Being in Georgetown is what put GU on the map. With the federal city so close, and important politicians even closer (welcome to the neighborhood Bob Woodward, John Kerry, and Madeline Albright), students are drawn to the first rate education and notable professors, but more importantly won over by the thought of being so close to Washington and the Hill. Although Georgetown doesn’t have a metro stop (more on that here), the city is at the fingertips of all of its residents.

You can read about Georgetown University here on their official website and here on their official meme page, which probably shows the culture from the students’ perspective better than I ever could try and explain. If you want history on Georgetown University, click here. Fun fact: It’s the oldest Catholic university in America (take that Catholic University of America!) (If you actually want to know what a hoya is, click here)