ELLIE PFOHL

American University College Writing 101 Spring 2017

R = Race

When doing research for my project, I landed across the journal article “Georgetown University: A Mostly White Enclave in a Black City.” This phrase, ‘a white enclave in a black city,’ resonated with me. Georgetown has a majority white population, but like the rest of D.C., was historically diverse.

Here are a few links to articles detailing Georgetown’s diverse history, along with the article above: “Atonement; Georgetown and Slavery,” “At 2 Georgetown Cemeteries, History in Black and White”, and finally Kathleen Lesko’s book Black Georgetown Remembered: A History of Its Black Community from the Founding of “The Town of George” in 1751 to the Present Day

When looking into how Georgetown’s diversity fits into Washington’s overall, I stumbled across a really interesting map. City-Data.com’s website is full of maps that track census data to give visitors a picture of what cities look like across America through the filters of race and income. First, the map shows median household income. The darker purple the area, the higher the median income. The lighter, the lower. However, I urge you to click the list of options along the top of the map and toggle between ‘Races – White alone (%)’ and ‘Races – black alone (%).’ This is where it gets interesting.

(When on the percentage of white households map), if one were to draw a line straight down the District, the left would be completely purple while the right is completely gray. This shows that everything left of downtown is a majority white area (including Georgetown and downtown itself). Everything to the right excluding downtown is a majority African-American area. If I had more time and resources, I would love to look into why this is.