Commonplace Entry #2: The Conversation

Introductions:

Media Essentials: A Brief Introduction by Richard Campbell, Christopher R. Martin, and Bettina Fabos

“Since the 1740s, magazines have played a key role in America, becoming a national mass medium even before newspapers, which at the time were mainly local and regional in scope. Magazines provided venues for political leaders and thinkers to offer their views on the broad issues and events of the day, including public education, abolition, women’s suffrage, and the Civil War. Many leading literary figures also used magazines to gain public exposure for their essays or stories. Readers consumes the articles and fictional accounts offered in magazines, and sapped up the produces and services advertised in each issues, hastening the rise of a consumer society. As consumerism grew, magazines themselves changed, with the most popular titles often focusing less on news and essays, and more on fashion, celebrities, advice, and entertainment” (Cambell, Martin and Fabos 114).

The introduction for chapter 4 of Media Essentials does seem to follow the pattern that G&B presents. Even though the authors do not present a specific person who stated the information above, most of it is knowledge or ideas that could be seen as facts (and not opinions). They lay down a foundation for why the world has viewed magazines as important while also providing a basis for what the readers will see discussed throughout the chapter.

This Modern Love by Will Darbyshire

“In the summer of 2014, I experienced a break-up. It was my first. And I was devastated. Coping with the demise of my relationship was unlike anything else I’d ever felt before. Someone in my family told me that it was like coping with death: you grieve in the same way; you’re mourning the loss of a person. I suppose that’s just how I felt: empty and lose, like a piece of me had broken off and crumbled, never to return” (Darbyshire 7).

Darbyshire’s introduction to his online project turned book does not mirror the form in G&B. Instead of stating the ‘they say’ first, he talks about the ‘I say’. In this case, the reversed format works considering the project/book (in which the author collected thousands of personal love stories from people from around the world) grew out of a personal motivation. Darbyshire states his story first, continuing on to the ‘they say’ in the rest of the book as others present their tales of love and loss.

will-darbyshire-this-modern-love-extract-788x306-jpg-rendition-788-250

<3