Invisible Boundaries of Personal Justice

Cassandra Clare’s Cover of her novel: Lady Midnight [Taken from Good Reads (https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1460477682l/25494343.jpg)]

“Laws are meaningless, child,” Malcolm said in a low voice that somehow still carried. “There is nothing more important than love. And no law higher.”

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

This is one of my favorite quotes from this author because not only do I think it’s crafted beautifully in its syntaxes but its meaning is extremely relevant to what we are currently living. What I mean by this is that in these current political times where we face having certain liberties or “rights” taken from us how far will people go to get them back? Especially when its removal directly affects a loved one?  In modern day society we constantly see how people quite literally die or kill others for or in the name of another; so, how far will people go to get their rights back? Especially if the law isn’t taken into consideration when marking boundaries and instead measures of love are.  

I think that the quote works great because it could not ring any truer. Humanity shows us time and time again how far people will go for some people and not for others. For example, some people would jump in front of cars to save their pets while others won’t even buy them food. Two very opposite versions of the same situation. Can that same amount of extreme love be held for an ideal too? And if so will people be willing to go to the same lengths for these ideals that some people do for others?