Commonplace; 봄날

Did you change?

Or did I change?

I guess we changed.

I guess that’s how everything is.

As time passes, nothing stays the same.

Especially people.

One of BTS’s most recent tracks talks about the grapple with wanting to be with someone when each is either far away or unfound in the utmost poetic way. “Spring Day,” from You Never Walk Alone, relates the state of nostalgia to the inevitability of change.

As human beings, we always have that moment when we miss the past and how things used to be with someone. Along with this, we recognize that this moment was typically brought upon by a difference in personality or mentality. Eventually, everyone changes. And what does this do to the quality or stability of a relationship? From my perspective, this is not necessarily a bad thing; it is an unavoidable truth.

In the context of the song lyrics, the artists make a strong statement by placing the first two sentences in the form of questions.

Did you change?

Or did I change?

The interrogative punctuation mark forces one to read or hear the words in a voice of insecurity. An intense sense of doubt within oneself is palpable when the second question is started with ‘or’. You don’t know where the difference came from, but it’s there, and you’re not too sure whether or not there is someone to blame.

Furthermore, the group made a choice when they wrote the second part of the lyrics beginning with ‘I guess’.

I guess we changed.

I guess that’s how everything is.

It almost transmits a feeling of having given up in figuring it out because what’s the point? The supposition goes back to the previous note made about a connection between nostalgia and inevitability. The lyric goes as far as deducing everything inevitably turns out this same way.

There is one main thing surrounding BTS’s verse, and that is uncertainty. Nonetheless, there’s a certain acceptance of this in their words, for you can’t change the fact of life that we all change.

One thought on “Commonplace; 봄날