Commonplace; It Is There

“Nature just screams at you. It is there.

Mount Rainier from a flowery distance. Seattle, Washington. Image found online.

You can’t ignore it. This is how Mary Hanley, AU faculty member, describes Mount Rainier in Seattle, Washington.

This stated exhibit works because it expresses how one feels in the natural-individual relationship. When something ‘screams’ at you, it is because it wants your attention. Even though nature cannot actually scream for one’s attention, the statement holds tremendous meaning. Nature does not have to do anything to be recognized. As Mary simply put it, “It is there.” It does not do anything; it does not call your name; it does not force its presence upon your own. Yet nature moves you. This is why the emphasis is placed on ‘there.’ Nature is an unchanging constant that keeps one in touch with what is bigger than oneself.  

“A panorama of the south face of Mount Rainier viewed from Westside Road, Washington State Route 706.” (Wikipedia)

Mary’s words moved me. I thought about how my research centered around Rock Creek Park argues that the involvement with the natural location is only considered a pastime that is not as important to protect or revel in for the urbanized mindset. Apparently in Mount Rainier, you are one with nature. As much as I appreciate nature, I love living in the city and partaking in the hustle and bustle of blasting through skyscrapers. Is it somewhat hypocritical of me to insist that nature should be considered a bigger part our city when I myself do not particularly want to live in a fully forested area forever? Or would I just want the best of both worlds? Can the best of both worlds be the best for both worlds?

Picture found online of Seattle, the city, with Mount Rainier in the distance.