Commonplace; Education Evolving

Knowing some would be uncomfortable or hesitant about this idea of sharing, the Housing and Dining Program at American University includes the second paragraph in the posted message on the gender-inclusive bathroom. I think it is interesting the organization reaches out to those with apprehension, accompanied with allowing a formal place ‘to go’ for those with unique gender identity. Somehow, Housing and Dining is able to make most feel included simply by making this point that change is uncomfortable, but it is for the better.

I feel like the language used in this announcement is very gentle (“If you feel the need…”; “we appreciate…”; “…within it meaning that the bathroom is available for anyone…”). With this approach, I see Housing and Dining Programs trying to be this entity which pushes for healthy change, but doesn’t want to shove it into anyone’s face. While the big-blocked ‘ATTENTION’ is authoritative, the overall phrasing is welcoming, along with the minimalist physical size of the message. In my opinion, this is the best way to address this natural order of life — of accepting those who are different, even though I do wish the physical size were bigger, just because it makes a bigger statement for anyone who walks by it. The signature at the bottom of the message (American University Housing and Dining Programs) sends the message that every single individual has the school’s overall support, and that is how it should be from everyone else. It is ridiculously important that this sentiment of inclusion is encouraged in a college campus, where people of different backgrounds, beliefs and ethnicities come together.

Whenever I see this image, I think of what it must have been like during the 1950’s – 1960’s with signs of segregation posted across towns. “Whites only,” changed to “All identities welcome,” and I think this is such a meaningful thing to point out. Look out how far we have come throughout time. Although we still have a long, plentiful way to go, we are on our way.

Shall property owned by the University System of Georgia and utilized by providers of college and university student housing and other facilities continue to be exempt from taxation to keep costs affordable?”

One of the biggest problems in our society right now is the fact that education and its constituents are increasingly being neglected. Money keeps being most important, and the present worry held behind this inquiry rings true for so many parts of the world.

Although the sentence is fairly complex to fully understand, I’ll poke at it to try to capture the essence. Basically, what the question asks is whether or not university-owned facilities will continue their exemption from taxation because if not, costs will become more expensive. The question specifies names of facilities to make who benefits and most needs the property to be affordable clear. Both students and faculty benefit from taxation exemption, obviously. Education is expensive enough here. And teachers barely make ends meet. Assuming the nature of the situation, I believe the loaded question must play a big role in what the Georgia government plans to do with financial andi structural reform in education. Rhetorically, the stakes in the inquiry are high, I can assume. If Georgia includes the University System property in taxation, the result could easily be financial inability for those attending or those in charge.