Annotated Bibliography; RCP IV

Rock Creek Park—Washington, D.C.’s Urban Oasis

Chakrabarti, Meghna. “Rock Creek Park—Washington, D.C.’s Urban Oasis.” Here & Now. http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2016/05/30/rock-creek-park-washington-dc.  Accessed 11 Apr. 2017.

Chakrabarti, in her article centered around the “urban oasis” that is Rock Creek Park for Here & Now, offers insight to Anthony Linforth’s different point of view, a ranger at the site. The man highlights what makes the park special, which is the historical value it holds (the only time a president of the United States has been shot in battle was in Rock Creek in 1864) and the varied attendance from diverse lifestyles, including people who had lived there all their lives and never been to the Nature Center, a prominent component of the Rock Creek Park premises (Chakrabarti). Both of these factors are significantly defining what the D.C. piece of nature is today. While Linforth does show this side of the Rock Creek magic, the ranger also emphasizes adversity the fellow protectants of the site and he must deal with to conserve the area. Linforth mentions as his biggest issue the fact that since Rock Creek lives in an urban landscape, the residents around it like to grow exotic plants that become a danger to the indigenous plants living in Rock Creek. Additionally, Linforth refers to the inaccessibility to Rock Creek Park. Although most people can access through buses, it is still difficult to get to the actual park, its hiking trails, and the main sites (Linforth in Chakrabarti). I personally know this to be true; Rock Creek’s first entrance is located right in front of a highway. I fail to see how this makes the park easily accessible for everyone. In totality, Linforth’s words play an important part in familiarizing myself with the social opinion of Rock Creek.

The highway running in front of Rock Creek Park

The way I plan to use this article is by putting the park ranger’s perspective in relationship with other sources like the Rock Creek Conservancy website, Bontemp’s article on the St. John’s College High School graduate, Schwartz’s piece on Washington’s million dollar homes, etc. Obviously, a park ranger like Linforth has incredible merit when it comes to testifying for Rock Creek’s needs because a ranger sees it all firsthand. This article diversifies the conversation I previously initiated with my research. It adds a primary perspective by letting the reader know how someone who practically lives in the park sees the park along with the people and things that surround it. Besides this, the piece brings back the consistently strewn around nickname for Rock Creek Park (“urban oasis”). A pattern seems to establish itself here. I hope this source enables me to give further thought to an insider’s perspective.

Chandra Levy’s Remains Found in Park By Dog

Twomey, Steve, and Sari Horwitz. “Chandra Levy’s Remains Found in Park By Dog.” The Washington Post, 23 May 2002. Washingtonpost.com, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/18/AR2008061801755.html.

Horwitz and Twomey’s piece for the Washington Post summarizes the scary story of Chandra Levy’s post-murder, in which the remains of her body were revealed to have been found in Rock Creek Park. The article, published in the year 2002 (a year after the D.C. intern was reported missing), discloses important facts about the finding to the public including the body being found by a dog on an owner’s leash, and the body being thrown in the woods and shielded by leaves and dirt (not buried). Apparently, the police had been unable to find the girl’s body, even though they had searched Rock Creek before when they learned Levy had looked up Klingle Mansion on the day of her disappearance (Twomey & Horwitz). The owner of the dog came upon a skull, since the body had been left out on nature’s floor and was probably pulled apart by native animals (Twomey & Horwitz). The journalists inform that it is unknown whether or not Levy was killed in Rock Creek or if the body was moved after the homicide. Although the article includes details about the deceased’s relationship to Gary Condit, Californian politician, the information is irrelevant to my research on the park itself.

Klingle Mansion. Wikipedia

Twomey and Horwitz’s piece lets me know there is a lot more than meets the eye to Rock Creek Park. What I usually read and see about the park is typically positive, rarely any strange commentary. However, the revelation of Chandray Levy’s murder has really opened up my opinion about the park. How many other similar occurrences could have possibly taking place there? It is a park after all, and one that covers half of DC at that. Finding dead bodies in there must be direly terrifying and something that hangs at the back of a person’s mind if he or she is alone. Now, I think about going there at night and it having an eery feeling hanging on every tree branch. This source helps me argue for a different vantage point in terms of Rock Creek Park’s magic, if I so choose to.