The moral of the story is there is no moral of the story.

The moral of the story.

It’s a fallacy. A trap. At least this is what Professor Hunter Hoskins makes of the concept. One afternoon in early April, I was sat in his office dissecting the main meat of my final research project when the instructor planted this seed for thought in my head.

What he meant with his conviction is that, in the end, everything is complex. We do not just simply know what it means, whatever ‘it’ may be. This is why our class is centered around moving beyond that false comfort of what a college essay should be. In Hoskins’s WRTG 101, we are tracings through a system. I, specifically, am doing this by intellectually and rhetorically excavating Rock Creek Park. I am linking the national park’s relationship with D.C. by examining the different spectrums it exists and being able to say, “Hey, there’s this complex and interesting thing that is happening right here, and it needs to be seen.” Rock Creek Park is a system in itself of multiplicity but simultaneously a part of D.C.

Hoskins insists I allow all of the aforementioned to be a thing, to flow for itself. The professorial lecturer also encourages me to trust my audience to interpret that curated vision of Rock Creek Park in D.C. in their own way because in the end, I cannot say, “So this is what this all means.” It is simply there, and I am putting a biased light on it.