Annotated Bibliography 5 and 6

Gringlas, Sam. “Old Confronts New In A Gentrifying D.C. Neighborhood.” NPR.org. Accessed April 9, 2017. http://www.npr.org/2017/01/16/505606317/d-c-s-gentrifying-neighborhoods-a-careful-mix-of-newcomers-and-old-timers.

In his Old Confronts New In A Gentrifying D.C. Neighborhood article, author Sam Gringlas investigates the population demographics within the African American community in D.C. Through his research, he delves into the local sceneries and explores Washington D.C. neighborhoods such as Shaw-Howard and gains insight. Within this search, Gringlas addresses gentrification and how gentrification is affecting the African American community. From the perspectives of native Washingtonian residents, Gringlas uses their interviews to understand the drastic changes happening among the local communities and negative effects gentrification is having on the lives of African American native residents. Gringlas learns that native Shaw-Howard residents are being pressured to leave their premises, despite the fact that most of these local residents have been apart of the community for decades. Many of these interviewees described their experiences as being “taken advantage of”, “pressuring”, and “difficult”; causing difficulties to thrive and keep afloat. However, despite the negative effects, residents are making efforts to demonstrate closeness within communities such as having a local Thanksgiving gathering at a local community center and having church communities support low income housing complexes. Gringlas uses this article to remind readers about the effects of gentrification on the black community and through the use of interviews, readers can gain an understanding from locals experiences.

Renovated Shaw-Howard houses

After reading this article, I feel as though I gain a sense of understanding the effects gentrification can have on a local community. This is important to me especially since I live in Washington D.C. and these personal narratives have called the seriousness of gentrification to my attention. Also, through this article I am learning how to better relate to the Shaw-Howard community. Through Gringlas’ use of pathos and ethos within this article, he is invoking a message. He is reminding readers to be cautious of the changes within local communities.

Stein, Perry. “Is pricey Shaw a model for retaining affordability amid regentrification?” WashingtonPost.com. Accessed April 9, 2017. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/is-pricey-shaw-a-model-for-retaining-affordability-amidst-regentrification/2015/05/21/912f3504-ffde-11e4-805c-c3f407e5a9e9_story.html?utm_term=.2a8e812ceb2a

In his Is pricey Shaw a model for retaining affordability amid regentrification?, author Perry Stein explores the possibility of protecting housing affordability in Washington D.C. neighborhoods such as Shaw-Howard. Stein uses perspectives from D.C. government officials such as Mayor Bowser and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro to highlight this crucial. The article mentions some of the successful efforts reinforced to aid this pressing matter such as providing more housing complexes like the Channing E. Phillips apartments and other government funded projects. Stein goes on to explain how D.C. government officials agree that urban cities need to offer more “modest means of opportunities” and other financial aids such as vouchers to gap the increasing housing costs. As well, Stein addresses the effects gentrification is having on these low income communities mentions that this idea of gentrification comes from the local scenery. Officials and new locals have used words such as “incongruous” to describe some of the deteriorating and current facilities within the low income communities. Through the use of logos, Stein ultimately tries to argue that officials are trying to make positive changes in local D.C. communities within housing. However, Stein also mentions that these changes may be inevitably good, there are still drawbacks the reconstruction and deconstruction of other buildings and community acceptance of change.

Image result for shaw-howard dc gentrification

Gentrified Shaw-Howard

After viewing this article, I understand that officials are trying to accommodate housing for residents even during the gentrification changes. I will use this article to better understand the perspectives of officials and their efforts for helping to improve communities. This is important for my next paper, especially since I am focusing on the Channing E. Phillips building. This article will help me better understand the thought process government officials have for constructing low income facilities.