Annotated Bibliographies 9 and 10

Asch, Chris Myers, and Derek Musgrove. “Not Gone, Not Forgotten: Struggling over History in a Gentrifying D.C.” Washington Post. Accessed April 20, 2017. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/therootdc/post/not-gone-not-forgotten-struggling-over-history-in-a-gentrifying-dc/2012/10/18/09ad8c24-1941-11e2-b97b-3ae53cdeaf69_blog.html.

In their Not Gone, Not Forgotten: Struggling over History in a Gentrifying D.C., authors Chris Myers and Derek Musgrove are giving readers a brief history of the D.C. population demographics and are exploring the roles minorities play within communities. According to the authors, African Americans and Latinos are currently at a physical displacement and are culturally being alienated due to the effects of gentrification and changes being made within various communities such as Shaw-Howard. Through Myers and Musgroves’s use of pathos, the authors use terms such as “struggles”, “displacement”, and “battles” to express concern for minority groups and remind readers of the adversities.  The authors not only try to inform readers of the displacement, but are ultimately trying to argue that the displacement is catering to a different demographic, non-minorities and outsiders. To non-minorities and outsiders of the D.C. community, these physical changes (gentrification) and building renovations are deemed as pretty and are a clear reflection of wealth and economic status. Native Washingtonians and minorities interpret these changes as a loss, especially since there is a destruction of community property and lack of history and cultural preservation.

Image result for 7th and S street DC apartments

Renovated S street apartment

I want to use this article for my upcoming mapping commonplaces assignment. Through this article I have a better understanding of how displacement, especially within D.C., affects communities and can destroy cultural and historical preservation efforts. Myself as a D.C. resident, acknowledges the truth behind the article and also agrees that gentrification is enacting as a barrier for communities. For my upcoming assignment, I am focusing on the 7th and S street Shaw-Howard community. Within this neighborhood, various members of the the 7th and S street community are currently working on tackling this issue. Members from the local church communities donated money to help provide more low income housing complexes. However, destruction of other various properties are becoming more apparent within the neighborhood. Through this article, I will have a better understanding of how native Washingtonians, especially in Shaw-Howard, feel about gentrification and I gain a sense of perspective.

Shani O Hilton. “Confessions of a Black Gentrifier” Washington City Paper. Accessed April 20, 2017. http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/news/article/13040540/confessions-of-a-black-dc-gentrifier

In her Confessions of a Black Gentrifier, author Shani O. Hilton investigates the population demographics within the African American community in D.C. and addresses how gentrification is directly affecting African Americans. Through her research, she delves into the local sceneries and explores Washington D.C. neighborhoods such as Shaw-Howard and gains insight. Within this search, Hilton addresses gentrification and how gentrification is negatively affecting the African American community. From the perspectives of native Washingtonian residents and victims of gentrification, Hilton uses their interviews to understand the drastic changes happening among the local communities and negative effects gentrification is having on the lives of African American native residents. She structures her article as blog post from the perspective of a black gentrifier exploring once predominately black communities, but now filled with non-minorities. Through her use of pathos, she utilizes terms such as “difficult”, “pressuring”, and “struggling”  to argue her point African Americans are struggling to stay afloat and remain in their communities. Through Hilton’s exploration, she learns that native residents are being pressured to leave their premises, despite the fact that most of these local residents have been apart of the community for decades and there is a growing loss of culture. Ultimately, Hilton uses this article to portray the behind the scenes of gentrification within black communities and how it personally individuals.

Image result for 7th and S street DC

Marvin Gaye Mural Located on 7th and S street

I want to use this article for my upcoming mapping commonplaces assignment. After reading this article, I feel as though I gain a sense of understanding pertaining to gentrification within communities. This is important to me especially since I live in Washington D.C. and I agree that some of the changes within my community have been negative. Also, through this article I am learning how to better relate to the Shaw-Howard community. In my mapping commonplaces assignment, I am focusing on the 7th and S street community and how this predominantly black community is trying to stay afloat. Through Hilton’s use of pathos and ethos within this article, she is reminding readers to be aware of the changes within local communities.