Commonplace Book Entry 2: The Conversation

Bolded sentences = “I say”

“Legal scholars addressing constraints on behavior traditionally focus on regulation through law, which is often termed simply “regulation.” However, as Lawrence Lessing has asserted, tools besides law may constrain or regulate behavior, and those tools function as additional forms of regulation. These include norms, markets, and architecture. While many legal scholars have begun to consider both norms, and markets in their work, here I focus on the regulatory role of architecture. The built environment does not fit within the definition of “regulation” as legal scholars traditionally employ that term; it in not a rule promulgated by an administrative body after a notice-and-comment period. However, the built environment does serve to regulate human behavior and is an important form of extra-legal regulation” (Schindler 1943-1944). 

This is a paragraph from part 1 of Sarah Schindler’s article “Architectural Exclusion: Discrimination and Segregation through Physical Design of the Built Environment.” The “They say” in this introduction are the references to both legal scholars and Lawrence Lessing. Schindler references the opinions of legal scholars, and the research of Lawrence Lessing to strengthen her main point which is found in the last sentence. The “I say” in this introduction is the last sentence, where Schindler introduces her point. In the next paragraph she backs up her claim by referencing more sources.

“Most Americans’ image of public housing is of a large concentration of run-down high-rise building in a major city—crime-ridden and inhabited by the poorest of the poor. The principles of defensible space help to explain why crime rates in such projects are both so high and so hard to bring under control. There are, indeed, many such projects, but this single image of public housing is something of a media distortion. In 1989 one- and two- story structures accounted for almost one-third of the 1.4 million public housing units nationwide. Buildings with three to six stories accounted for almost another quarter. Defensible space techniques have had considerable success in several smaller scale developments, and they have made at least some dent in the crime problems of certain high-rise developments. I believe this approach can me highly cost effective and should be applied much more widely” (Cinsneros 19).

This paragraph is from Henry Cisneros’ article “Defensible Space: Deterring Crime and Building Community. I believe the “they say, I say” format is seen twice. Cisneros begins the introduction referencing the opinions of “most Americans” and then goes on to state one of his main points. Next, information about public housing in 1989 is provided. This information is cited from another source and therefore another “they say.” In the final sentences, Cisneros states his opinion, making the last sentences the “I say.”

Avatar

Grace Wilmeth

View more posts from this author