Annotated Bibliography 5&6

5) “Why The Fight Over A Bike Lane In Shaw Isn’t About Biking.” WAMU, 13 Nov. 2015, http://wamu.org/story/15/11/13/when_a_bike_lane_debate_isnt_just_about_bicycling/.

In WAMU’s article “Why The Fight Over A Bike Lane In Shaw Isn’t About Biking,” author Martin Di Caro argues that the unrest surrounding the possibility of the construction of a bike lane in Shaw, DC, stems from much more than churches being against it taking up space in their parking lots. Moreover, he claims that these historically black churches are opposing this notion because of their resentment towards recent gentrification and the utter changes in demographics. Furthermore, pastors of these churches feel as though adding a bike lane will create even a bigger disparity towards feeling at home in their own neighborhood.

I will use this source to add to the general conversation about how people really feel about their changing neighborhood they call home. It is not a matter of whether gentrification is good or bad, it is a matter of the underlying repercussions that have risen because of it. This article talks about the Shaw Urban Renewal Project of 1969, which was in response to the riots that destroyed a lot of Shaw. I discovered that this project was run by several pastors and was backed by many churches in the area during that time. I discovered that the churches were partly responsible for building Shaw back up after utter destruction. This background information gives rise to why churches in particular would have a problem with bike lanes being built because they would only be adding to the change that to them, took away what they had made long ago. This article will in turn, fit nicely into the conversation about how trendy things are a priority for the new Shaw, but the old Shaw is completely being left behind.

6) Juskus, Ryan, and Elia, Elizabeth.“Long Time Coming.” NHI, http://nhi.org/online/issues/150/longtimecoming.html. Accessed 10 Apr. 2017.

Ryan Juskus and Elizabeth Elia argue in their article “Long Time Coming” that the Shaw neighborhood has an immensely rich history that dates back long before Shaw became violent and crime ridden. Additionally, the article discusses the progression of the area, as it was the primary source of African American culture and intellect back in the 1960’s.

Mural of Duke Ellington in Shaw

Moreover, the article argues that because of the recent development and gentrification that has occurred in Shaw, the original community has found a way to participate in the development of their neighborhood, therefore being able to attempt to emulate the kind of African American community that Shaw used to have.

I will use this source to connect Shaw’s history before the crack epidemic to how this history is attempting to parallel with what is currently happening in Shaw. The article will be able to participate in the conversation around what happened to Shaw, and why people stopped caring, to now, when people do care. I want to know what changed. This source also includes a lot of key terms and names of people that I will further research, which could be of great use to me. The Duke project, I discovered, is the name of the project that ignited the gentrification that we see today, so I wish to learn more about this and learn about the intent behind it. I want to know who started to care. Was it all about money? Or, was it genuine care for the good of Shaw?