Annotated Bibliography 7&8

7) Harriston, Keith. “On Too Many Street Corners, A Young Fist Ends in a Gun.” The Washington Post, 6 Oct 1991.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1991/10/06/on-too-many-street-corners-a-young-fist-ends-in-a-gun/a5aa0b15-b346-4497-b9fe-48dd4cd8cc3d/?utm_term=.d770fecb7639.

Keith Harriston argues in his Washington Post article, “On Too Many Street Corners” a Young Fist Ends In a Gun.” that much of the crime that existed in Shaw during the crack epidemic was largely a result of gang violence. He further argues that these gang members were actually children and teenagers who thought that what they were doing was what they had to do in order to stay alive. Through interviews of previous gang members, he is able to provide the reader with a sense of what the attitude and atmosphere was like for these adolescents during that time. He can therefore allude to the fact that maybe a lot of what happened in Shaw could have been prevented.

I would use this article to supply myself with first hand accounts of what occurred with a lot of these gangs. Knowing that they were very young and most likely didn’t know the extent of what they were doing leaves me to question why it couldn’t have been stopped, and research further into these gangs. This article could join the conversation floating around the gap of time between 1980 and 2010 that no one seems to want to talk about. I could use it to show one specific aspect that contributed to making Shaw how it was.

8)Escobar, Gabriel, and Wilgoren, Debbi. “Bold Taunt Sparked D.C. Gang Slaying.” The Washington Post, 17 Nov. 1991. https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1991/11/17/bold-taunt-sparked-dc-gang-slaying/5aa7d375-452a-4046-9a69-1df576d8f2a3/?utm_term=.b747bdec5c9e.

In their article published by the Washington Post, Gabriel Escobar and Debbi Wilgoren argue in support of the fact that gang violence is profound in the Shaw neighborhood. More specifically, they argue that the attitude that encompasses these gangs give them the sense that shooting people is simply a way of life, and that almost anything can ignite this their desire to use a gun, leading to such violence. This article, published in 1991, therefore shines a light on what was going on in Shaw during that time, while simultaneously adding to the stigma that Shaw commonly entertained.

For my purposes, I will incorporate this source into the conversation regarding what was happening in Shaw during these seemingly lost or forgotten twenty or so years. It adds to the argument for why no one wants to talk about what actually happened. From what I have seen and read, it seems as though few people that were actually from Shaw have a problem talking about what it was really like, however, people who are trying to market it definitely stray from mentioning an entire 20 years, therefore this source will be effective in showing what was happening, and add to the idea of this so called forgotten time as the commonplace.