AB: The Food Mirage

Brooks, Lauren A. “Food Deserts, Gentrification, and Public Health Nutrition: A Case Study of the Shaw/U-Street Neighborhood of Washington D.C,” The George Washington University, 2016, ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global.

In her scholarly article “Food Deserts, Gentrification, and Public Health Nutrition: A Case Study of the Shaw/U-Street Neighborhood of Washington D.C,” Lauren Ashley Brooks uses the Shaw neighborhood to show the effects of food shortages in gentrified areas.  Brooks explains how new high end grocery stores built in gentrifying areas has prevented its lower income residents from consuming healthier foods.  She describes these new grocery stores as a “food mirage” for the long-term residents because of their inability to afford their more expensive prices.  

I will use this article as a Method source to analyze controversies surrounding the site I have chosen in Shaw. I will be able to apply the conclusions found in this article to compare the positive and negative affects of my sites recent restoration into a Giant supermarket.