AB: Revitalization

Meyer, Eugene L. “Washington’s Shaw Neighborhood Is Remade for Young Urbanites.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 1 Dec. 2015. Accessed 20 Apr. 2017.

In his New York Times article “Washington’s Shaw Neighborhood Is Remade for Young Urbanites,”  Eugene L. Meyer describes how the historically black Shaw neighborhood is now becoming a home to many white middle class millennials.  The author explains how urban development in Shaw has brought the area many new businesses and high rise apartments.  The author provides pricing for these new living spaces, and quotes those working for the development companies.

I will be able to use this article as an argument source to provide a different opinion on the controversy surrounding the development projects in Shaw.  I will be able to use quotes from executives working for the development companies to offer their perspective on the revitalization of Shaw. With the little mention of the area’s previous residents, I will use this source to show that there is little public commentary on the negative implications of these developments by the developers.  

Angerer, Drew. Intersection of Florida Ave and 9th Street NW. The New York Times, December 2, 2015.

I can use this picture to show how these new development buildings look in the Shaw neighborhood, and compare its design to the older infrastructure.