Commonplace #5

Jeremy Kramer

11/3/2016

Common Place

“Shall Property owned by the University System of Georgia and utilized by providers of college and university student housing and other facilities continue to be exempt from taxation to keep costs affordable?”

What is noticeable to me about this legislative proposal are the lines: “utilized by providers of college and university student housing and other facilities” and “continue to be exempt from taxation”

I believe what this bill is trying to do is twofold. The first is that it is trying to let third parties who are not part of the university, but instead contractors profit but not having to pay any taxes. The second thing which is going on in this bill is that by having it on the ballot, the legislative representatives are attempting to remove any responsibility to whether or not it passes. What this signals to me is that this bill does not benefit the tax payers of Georgia, but instead special interest groups.