1.Education:

[A]n education [. . .] that was designed to support a truly direct, deliberative democracy [. . .] would be an education oriented to the ‘strong publics’ of decision-making rather than the ‘weak publics’ of opinion formation. (205)

This quote pushes the importance of education, similar to Jenny Rice’s main point. Public “decision making” affects the area not only on a local basis but a national and international basis. I would say that assignments have affected my college and high school experience. At times I would have an opinion on a matter or be totally oblivious to it until further research. I think it is important to further learned and to understand what affects not only you but larger areas.

1. Editing Sentences:

Original: The first thing you notice as you walk into Thomas Circle NW is the cleanliness. The buildings kiss the wide stone sidewalk and shoot up high. Immediately you can tell this is a wealthy area. The air smells clean and the sidewalks are uncrowned and the circle is calm. Littered in stop signs, traffic lights and crosswalks, you feel safe in Thomas Circle NW. The area is fairly open with a rotary in the middle allowing for traffic to flow through with ease. The surrounding buildings, some of which are higher income apartments and others are successful offices, are beautifully built and well kept.

Edit: The first thing you notice about Thomas Circle HW is the cleanliness. The buildings kiss the wide stone sidewalk and shoot up high. It is obvious you are in a wealthy area. The are is clean and the sidewalks are uncrowded. Due to the stop signs and traffic lights you feel safe in thomas circle.The rotary in the middle allows the traffic to flow easily. All the surrounding buildings are well kept.

1. Georgia Referendum to Amend State Constitution Sentence:

“Shall Property owned by the University System of Georgia and utilized by providers of college and university student housing and other facilities continue to be exempt from taxation to keep costs affordable?”

1. Should University of Georgia property be exempt from taxes
  2. words that jump out at me: Utilized, providers,shall,system

3) I believe the rhetorical situation is intended for students, the “cost affordable” part of the sentence is meant to appeal to the youth entering college.The sentences purpose is to beg the question “should the university of Georgia be exempt from taxes in order to lower prices”. Most likely, this was a debate the state was having, and this is one person rhetorical opinion on the matter. Though the sentence is easy to understand it most likely was meant for higher government officials, even though it does have an effect on the mass public. It seems as if the author is trying to convince readers to side with his point of view, and the sentence above is just the opening to his argument that follows.

1. Gender Neutral Bathrooms:

The sign was put in place in order to make everyone feel safe. Most likely put in place by American University counseling or just the university itself in order to provide students with the comfort they need. As a growing university American needs to be inclusive to all genders, beliefs and views. This poster is a step the university is taking toward equality. Most likely the university noticed an issue with gender roles and restrooms and decided to put a stop to specific sex bathrooms. This phenomenon is occurring nationally and it is wonderful that it is being well received.

1. Favorite Sentence:

“One of the things I learned is that when you fight for something you believe in and you tell the truth and you do your best, you can always hold your head up high and no one can take that away from you”

-Vanessa Kerry

large

The root of this sentence is to try your best. The rest of the words sentence add description and meaning to the quote. “try your best” is not as powerful and emotional as “do your best, you can always hold your head up high and no one can take that away from you”.

My own sentence: No matter what happens, as long as you try your best you will be alright

1. Commonplace #2:

ABSTRACT. The built environment is characterized by man-made physical features that make it difficult for certain individuals—often poor people and people of color—to access certain places. Bridges were designed to be so low that buses could not pass under them in order to prevent people of color from accessing a public beach. Walls, fences, and highways separate historically white neighborhoods from historically black ones. Wealthy communities have declined to be served by public transit so as to make it difficult for individuals from poorer areas to access their neighborhoods.

1. The “They say” in Schindler’s essay is that “physical features that make it difficult for certain individuals—often poor people and people of color—to access certain places.”
  1. Commonplace #1:

Commonplace book (due for next Thursday): two examples of periods (IC. IC.) and two examples of IC; IC.  Post them to your commonplace book and discuss what the effect would be if you replaced one with other. There is no correct answer. I just want you to think about it and play around with it.

Two examples of periods:

1. I am so hungry. I need to go get lunch
  2. I liked S-street rising. I was so happy he came to speak
    1. Both of these examples work because they are independent clauses and are each there own sentences.

Two examples of semi-colons:

1. I didn’t go to dinner last night; as a result I am extremely hungry
  2. I went to the park; then it started to rain
    1. The semicolon breaks up the sentence and connects them with phrases like “as a result” and “then”
    1. ‘Why would I leave? It’s my home.’

Paul Duggan’s ‘Why would I leave? It’s my home.’ addresses the problem of gentrification and reconstruction in close knit neighborhoods. In growing communities, reconstruction of promising areas often displaces and destroys the homes of many without any consideration. Paul Duggan dove into this phenomenon by speaking with the residents of Kenilworth, DC who face the problem of potential displacement each and every day. I think this article was extremely eye opening and it is important for students to know that this problem occurs.

Duggan, Paul. “’Why Would I Leave? It’s My Home.’.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 25 Nov. 2016, www.washingtonpost.com/sf/local/2016/11/25/why-would-i-leave-its-my-home/?tid=pm_local_pop.

1. Divisions in My Dorm Room

In “Divisions in My Dorm Room” K.N. Pineda delves into the college world and its experience throughout the 2016 election. The recent United States presidential election caused an uproar, specifically in the lives of college students. Campuses that were once accepting and open became defensive and hurt due to the news of our new president elect, Mr. Donald J. Trump. Pineda, a student at NYU university, wrote this article to address the backlash she has felt when it became public that she would have voted for Trump. Though many have strong views on both presidential candidates, it is important for us to come together and find a commonplace to discuss both fears and joys regarding this election year. I think this article is an important read for all students in this time because it is important to understand others. Rather than shut each other out we should be helping each other succeed.
    Pineda, K. N. “Divisions in My Dorm Room.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 28 Nov. 2016, www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/opinion/divisions-in-my-dorm-room.html?_r=0.

1. His & Hers: Designing for a Post-Gender Society

In “His & Hers: Designing for a Post-Gender Society”, Suzanne Tick argues that traditional gender roles are challenged by a growing society, specifically in the workplace and through design. Through changes in fashion industry and also in bathroom edicate, Suzanne Tick highlights how these changes have taken into effect with the goal of making everyone feel accommodated in their space. When reading this it makes you re-think how important accomodation is and how important it is for everyone to have a safe space.
    Tick, Susan. “His &; Hers: Designing for a Post-Gender Society.” Metropolis Magazine, Metropolis, Mar. 2015, www.metropolismag.com/March-2015/His-or-Hers-Designing-for-a-Post-Gender-Society/.

1. Making Bathrooms More ‘Accommodating’

In “Making Bathrooms More ‘Accommodating’” Emily Bazelon asks society to question bathroom etiquette despite the social norms we have been taught. Bazelon analyzes the meaning of “accommodation” while encouraging her readers to understand and be open to transgenders sharing restrooms with their wanted sex. Bazelon also focuses on the differences between men and women’s restrooms through analyzing the differences and the potentially unfair norms that occur within these restrooms. Separating men and women in places such as bathrooms are cultural habits and stereotypical norms that are on their way to being changed, which causes uncomfort, specifically for the ladies room. It is important that everyone feels comfortable using public restrooms and it never seemed like a problem to me until I read this article. It was interesting to me because I never thought that others may not feel comfortable using gender neutral bathrooms. This piece was truly eye opening for me as a young student.  
    Bazelon, Emily. “Making Bathrooms More ‘Accommodating.’” The New York Times, The New York Times, 21 Nov. 2015, www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/magazine/making-bathrooms-more-accommodating.html?_r=0.