Annotated Bibliographies 3 & 4

Wang, Yanan. “Massive Mural an Ephemeral Reminder of NoMa’s Past.” The Washington Post, Jun 25, 2015, ProQuest Central, http://proxyau.wrlc.org/login

Summary/Analysis

In the The Washington Times article titled “Massive Mural an Ephemeral Reminder of NoMa’s Past,” written by Yanan Wang, she writes about the evolution of the NoMa district and how one of the largest murals in Washington, D.C. is being torn down due to new development. She begins by addressing Cita Sadeli as the main artist of the mural. Sadeli along with 51 other artists worked together to create a colorful ground mural in an empty lot in NoMa. Nestled behind Union Station, the mural provides vibrant scenery for those driving by or looking out on the Metrorail Red Line. Next, Wang points out that the mural was commissioned by the NoMa Business Improvement District in partnership with Words Beats & Life, a nonprofit promoting hip-hop and art education in the city. Then Wang addresses the sad part that the large mural will soon vanish due to a multi-use development named Storey Park. This brings Wang into discussion with Dan Silverman, publisher of the PoPville blog. Wang includes a quote from Silverman in which he explains how many years ago, “…you went there to catch the bus or a cab to where you were actually going.” Unlike many authors, Wang gives the perspective of how people feel with this new development. She explains that “Not everyone is happy with where the neighborhood is going. On the corner of First and K streets NE, a handful of government workers sat outside Sandwiches by Philip on their lunch hour, gazing halfheartedly at the banners advertising Storey Park leases.” The article concludes with a quote from Sadeli. The artist says “I’m just hankering for the old NoMa.” Wang does an excellent job educating the audience on the NoMa area. She provides the proper amount of background knowledge to help the reader grasp the monumental impact of this mural being torn down.

In Conversation

This article is vital to my project since Gonzaga College High School is located in the NoMa district of Washington, D.C. All around the school, buildings are going up and the dynamic within the area are shifting. Just like the artist uses a mural to show the original NoMa, I plan to create a documentary to highlight the changes in recent year. While the area around Gonzaga is changing, Gonzaga has remained true to its original traditions.

Alexander, Keith. “Outsourcing the Picket Line; Carpenters Union Hires Homeless to Stage Protests.” The Washington Post, Jul 24, 2007, ProQuest Central, http://proxyau.wrlc.org/login

Summary/Analysis

In The Washington Post article titled “Outsourcing the Picket Line; Carpenters Union Hires Homeless to Stage Protests,” written by Keith Alexander, he writes about the use of homeless people in a staged protest. Alexander begins by setting the scene for the rest of the article. He says, “The picketers marching in a circle in front of a downtown Washington office building chanting about low wages do not seem fully focused on their message.” Next, Alexander addresses the issue that the people engaging in protest for better union rights are not actually part of The Mid-Atlantic Regional Council of Carpenters. Instead, they were paid $8 an hour. The Union hired people unemployed from homeless shelters. Then Alexander includes a quote from one of the protestors Tina Shaw, who lives in a women’s shelter. She simply says, “I’m here for the cash.” The most interesting part of the article is when Alexander writes about William R. Strange. Strange began “working as a for-hire picket two years ago when he lived in a homeless shelter on New York Avenue. He is now paid $12 an hour because he plays the buckets during the demonstrations.” Alexander continues and gives an update that Strange now owns an apartment. The article concludes with a quote from Strange where he says, “Every day I turn that key to my apartment, I feel great. I owe that to the picketing.” Alexander does a great job at addressing both sides of the argument. On one hand it is corrupt that people fighting for better union rights don’t actually work for the union, but on the other hand, it provides a source of income to those in need.

In Conversation

This article will play a role in my final project because the protest took place near Gonzaga College High School. In my final project I will address the homelessness in the area by talking with homeless people on the streets. I plan to compile my interviews into a documentary which will highlight the poor-rich dichotomy. During my conversations, I am interested to find out if any of the homeless people I talk with have engaged in picketing.

Avatar

jm5121a

View more posts from this author