Annotated Bibliographies 5 & 6

Lazo, Luz. “As Metro Struggles, Capital Bikeshare Takes Bigger Role in Region’s Transit Network.” ProQuest Central, Nov 12, 2016, http://proxyau.wrlc.org/login

Summary/Analysis

In The Washington Post article titled “As Metro Struggles, Capital Bikeshare Takes Bigger Role in Region’s Transit Network,” written by Luz Lazo, she addresses the increased use of Capital Bikeshare as the Metro is becoming more and more unreliable. Lazo begins the article by quoting Allie Toomey, a resident of Pentagon City. Toomey particularly likes Capital Bikeshare over the Metro because, “It is a lot less hassle…I am in control of my commute. There is no traffic and no major incidents…you never know with Metro anymore.” It is very smart of Lazo to include this quote right off the bat because it proves this is a significant issue. Next, Lazo goes on to discuss Metro’s year-long maintenance program and its implications. These include single-tracking, partial shutdowns and massive delays. To validate her argument even further, Lazo quotes Jim Sebastian, a Washington D.C. transportation planner. Sebastian states that “People are discovering these other modes besides Metrorail during SafeTrack, and Capital Bikeshare is one of them.” After, Lazo pulls out numbers to back up her point. In line with the rapid growth Lazo previously described, she says, “Capital Bikeshare has expanded from the original 114 stations six years ago to 426 this month. Membership in the past two years has grown to 31,600 from 24,000. This month, the system reached nearly 15 million trips.” The statistics emphasize Lazos main argument and is proof. Lastly, the article concludes with another quote from Toomey proving how much easier Capital Bikeshare really is. Toomey says, “You can just grab a bike and drop it off somewhere. I don’t have to worry about storing a bike or having a bike stolen.” Putting this quote at the end of the article reinforces Lazo’s main intention: educate the reader on the increased use of Capital Bikeshare.

In Conversation

This article can be useful for my project since there is a Capital Bikeshare docking station right near Gonzaga College High School. When I interview students at Gonzaga College High School, I plan to ask them how they get to and from school everyday. I am curious if they ever use Capital Bikeshare as it is very close to their school. Also, I want to observe the Capital Bikeshare docking station near Gonzaga to find out what type of people are renting bikes from that location.

Djurdjic, Milena. “Washington DC Facing Family Homelessness Crisis.” Federal Information & News Dispatch, Inc, Lanham, 2013, ProQuest Central, http://proxyau.wrlc.org/login

Summary/Analysis

In The Federal Information & News Dispatch Inc. (VOA News) article titled “Washington DC Facing Family Homelessness Crisis,” written by Milena Djurdic, she addresses the increase of homeless families in Washington, D.C. Djurdic begins the article by stating that “more than a thousand families are homeless, including at least 1,800 children, a number that has risen almost 75 percent since the recession started in 2008.” By beginning with these harsh statistics, it catches the reader’s attention and shows this is a serious matter. Next, Djurdic goes on to give the example of Marcaus Scales, a disabled single father that has been homeless for a year. Djurdic then includes a quote from Scales in which he says, “I just got to constantly reassure her that things will get better, that it is only for a little bit.” Scales and his daughter live in a shelter which used to be a hospital. After introducing Marcaus Scales, Djurdic brings in Amber Harding, an attorney for the clinic. According to Harding, “the streets of Washington are home to anywhere between 1,200 and 3,000 homeless children. Too often, she says, these families are forced to move from place to place on an almost daily basis in order to find a safe place to stay.” These issues are real and frightening. Djurdic concludes the article where she started by quoting Scales. He says, “When you lose hope, you lose everything, and that is the only thing I have right now.” These touching words leave the reader with a lot of emotions. From Dijurdic’s standpoint, it is a very interesting placement of the quote.

In Conversation

This article contributes to my final project because I plan to talk with homeless people at the shelter around the corner from Gonzaga College High School. I want to get the perspective from both single people living at a shelter and also families. Also, I am interesting in finding out what the Gonzaga College High School student’s know about the increase in homeless families.

Avatar

jm5121a

View more posts from this author