Love

Commonplace 6 (3/2/17)

“‘Why do we breathe air? Because we love air? Because we don’t want to suffocate. Why do do we eat? Because we don’t want to starve. How do I know I love her? Because I can sleep after I talk to her”(262).  -Maggie Stiefvater, The Raven King

The fragment implies that Love is as natural as breathing or eating and at the same time it is peaceful, as sleep usually is. “She” calms his mind. To most, sleeping can be a struggle, whether it is insomnia or just a general inability to quiet one’s mind. The way that she is able to do this reflects the importance of her presence and the non-ability of helping him. “Because I can sleep after I talk to her,” shows how individual and significant this love is -not just anyone can do this or be this person.

He proposed questions that seem ridiculous, in a sense, because no one continuously struggles with the answers, or questions why we breathe or why we eat. He proposes the idea that this love is natural and even comparable to the will to live and/or to survive, in regards to the relationship he creates between breathing and eating. He shows that it, that Love, is necessary to survival.

The sentence structure is very “I” centralized. This character is emphasizing what he can do. And with “we,” it makes the sentences universal, applying them to everyone -reader and all. “We” all “breathe,” and “love,” and “eat.”

The most important part of this fragment is that it is never implied if it is romantic or platonic love, love between friends or love between family or love between lovers. All love can be equally important and necessary to live, to survive, happily and  peacefully -complete.