This is a photograph of the Foggy Bottom metro from the back and the architecture of the GW hospital building from the court yard of the GW Medical School. This picture shows the hospital, the metro, and apartment buildings in the background from the courtyard of the University in one small congested area, which, in relation to the annotated bibliographies, shows the neighborhood disagreement over introducing a helipad to the area due to the confined space of the neighborhood.
This is a photograph of the metro stop at Foggy Bottom at GW Hospital and Medical school that shows the ability to connect with many other places within in DC, which then leads to the popularity of the area- in regards to living space, attending school, or spending free time for the attractions like restaurants . Also seen in the photograph are people handing out pamphlets that introduce things from attractions within the area to information about the hospital or other community programs.
This is a photograph of the GW seal in the court yard between the Medical school and the University Hospital. This is of significance because of the fact that the hospital only owns about 20% interest in the Hospital while an outside source owns the remaining 80%. The University’s name is all over the Hospital, so they will remain the face of the hospital through the various discussions with expansion relations and the neighbors in Foggy Bottom, who tend to disagree with the hospital in these discussions.
UHS is the group that runs the hospital, rather than the actual university, which is what most people may imagine. According to the GW website under management, Universal Health Services Inc. holds 80% interest in the hospital while the university only holds about 20% interest. Together, the management works to pursue the highest care and services to all patients.
The Ronald Reagan Institute of Emergency Medicine was named in honor of Ronald Reagan when the hospital treated Ronald Reagan after the attempted assassination. This is the Emergency Medicine department of GW that has caused conflict between the hospital and neighbors (of the residential area in Foggy Bottom) due to the fact that they have a trauma center that requires much traffic through their neighborhood. In addition to ambulances, the hospitals plans to use helicopters in the neighborhood to transfer patients
This video of the entrance of the Foggy Bottom-GWU Metro Station captures the popularity of the location for many people that are both traveling by the metro, those who have a relation to the hospital, those who sell t-shirts and give out pamphlets by the street corner, and to the homeless. This area is but vibrant. In the video, in the background, one can faintly hear a man playing guitar and singing for money. This noise contrasts against the sound of foot and vehicle traffic in the background, people talking, and the escalator moving.
When I went into the Hospital to find a pamphlet, I talked to a man at the information desk who looked around but could not find me a traditional pamphlet. Instead, he presented me with the George Washington University Hospital newsletter. In this newsletter, there are articles that discuss the medical advances that the hospital has made. The newsletter also features a story on a local man who survived cardiac arrest while at a Washington Nationals baseball game with the assist of the GWU Hospital team (as featured on the cover).
The hospital’s entrance way seemed partially hidden from the street and sidewalk, as it is set into the building. When I entered the hospital’s reception area, I noticed the high ceilings and the modern interior design. The room was round, with chairs partially on one side, the receptionist desk straight forward from the door with a hallway that extended behind it. To the left of the front entrance there was a cafeteria, and a stairway to an upper level. These pictures do not show much detail of the room because the room was crowded and I did not want to take people’s photos without them knowing.
In the same neighborhood of the GW Hospital is the Spanish Embassy, located on Pennsylvania Ave. Because my main Built Environment focus is a hospital, I could not explore the interior as much so I decided to explore the surroundings and the important cultural factors of DC. The embassies are an important one of them. I thought the Embassy of Spain was interesting because most of the Embassies are located on Embassy row on Massachusetts Ave and this one was so far out of the way near GW.
In exploring more of the cultural parts around the GW Hospital, I found there were many restaurants. Because I visited the site midday on a Wednesday, these restaurants were not very busy but there were many around that street corner with open patios to attract those who walk by, as it is a popular area. The featured restaurants are Circa, Roti Mediterranean Grill, and Sweet Green.