A True Tortured Artist: Edvard Munch

“The Scream” painted by Edvard Munch

In my modern art class I have been researching Edvard Munch and learning details and facts on his life and how that influenced his artwork. I originally just assumed that he was a tortured artist solely based off his work but I did not know that there was such a depth to his trauma. One of his most famous pieces of art is probably The Scream it has been everywhere. Since there has been such clout created by this piece, there has been so many attempts on stealing this Norwegian gem. Later on, I learned that the picture was not just a random person with random circles and swirls on the page it was a real instance for Edvard Munch. People found out that the painting is actually in a real place in Norway. It was a specific bridge where apparently Edvard Munch once heard a loud screech during a nature walk with friends. Some critics believe that he was just hearing voices because that is one of the main things that he is known for having.

Edvard Munch in a photograph

Also Edvard Munch expressed his tortured inside emotions through this piece but after I dug into his upbringing I was able to understand more of what he went through. When Edvard was just 5 years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. Especially since his father was a physician, he was distraught that his father could not assist his mother in her time of need. Also his sister died from tuberculosis later on and she was well known for being Edvard’s favorite sibling. His only brother also died but from pneumonia which impacted his emotional stability yet again. His father convinced him that the family was cursed and it seemed to make sense of why his paintings were as deranged as they were.