Does It Dry Up Like A Raisin in The Sun?

Cover of the play, A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry

Recently I went to see a performance of a play called A Raisin in The Sun written by Lorraine Hansberry. I have read the script in high school before so I knew the synopsis of what the play is generally about. I have also read the poem, A Dream Deferred by Langston Hughes, in high school which is what the play’s title is based off of. It is safe to say that I have a lot of well versed history and background on the play so I was excited to see the play be brought to life. The play took place at the Arena Stage and was about 3 hours long. I wanted to see whether or not the play would do the script justice and if there would be a good depiction of what the script highlighted. Since the play took place in an arena there were audience members on each side of the stage.

A depiction of an arena stage

There was just a room in the middle of the entire audience which really highlighted some of the key ideas that the play was supposed to represent. There was a creation established and it truly was amazing and great to see. I believe that people should definitely see the production but mainly after reading the script.