Commonplace Entries

Entry One

1. “Ten persons is too small for a polis; but a hundred thousand is too large.”

a. The right number is probably somewhere between ten persons and hundred thousand.

(a.) The difference here is I got rid of the semicolon and period and made this sentence much broader.

b. A hundred thousand is too large for a polis; but ten persons is too small.

(b.) By just switching the two sentences, it produces a different perspective, however the difference between this and the original is not large.

1. “Sample arguments are nearly all written by Americans; and the issues for debate are mostly ‘American’ issues”

a. The issues for debate are mostly American and the sample arguments are nearly all written by Americans.

(a.) It is interesting to notice how the use of a semicolon can create such organization and order in a sentence. After removing it, it seems to sound and feel much more complicated.

1. “But the ways we conceptualize, discuss, and teach politics are not fully explained by simple reference to economic, technological, and other material forces.”a. Simple reference to economic, technological, and other material forces do not explain the ways we conceptualize, discuss, and teach politics.(a.) By switching up the words, this (as well as one above) gives a new perspective to the reader. One that can be thought to be more understandable.

• “Only the representatives could express, discuss, and decide; only they exercised truly public freedom.”

a. Only representatives excersize public freedom through expression, discussion, and decision.

(a.) By describing that representatives could exercise public freedom first and changing the ending of the words, it seems to be a portal that shows how representatives exercise the freedom differently.

Entry Two

They say “Some motorists with high incomes but bad driving records may pay less for car insurance than lower-income consumers with pristine records, a new analysis has found” however I say that is unfair. Driving records are one of the only things that should dictate how much money you must pay for car insurance, along with what kind of car you drive, age, etc. However income is unfair and should not be a factor.

Entry Three

Sentence: “Let’s go, don’t wait, this night’s almost over. Honest, lets make this night last forever.” the-road-doesnt-end-when-the-world-does-just-dont-forget-your-towel-hitchhikersguidetothegalaxy

Although the word “forever” is towards the end of the two sentences, I believe this is the root of everything. It makes you think. Whenever I hear these lyrics, I always think of one specific person who happens to be a female. What do other people think about when they hear this? The words come together to create almost an erie feeling.

Changed Sentence: “Hold on, let’s wait, this night hasn’t started. Certainly, nothing last forever.”‘

Entry Four

unknown

“A photo is worth 1,000 words.” When I first saw this photo, it really did strike me and get me thinking. Especially at this day and age and with Donald Trump winning the presidential election, this photo is worth much more than it looks. Many people feel oppressed and many people feel as if they will not get the opportunity to live out ‘the American dream.’ Regardless of who is in charge and regardless of what laws and regulations are being set by our government and the higher powers, we must all come together. I believe that sticking together, serving one another, and pushing forward is one great deal of importance.

Entry Five

Explain the importance of the ceteris paribus or “other-things-equal” assumption.

“Other things equal” is very important in economics especially when creating an economic model because the real world is too complex. Without keeping variables that are not directly related to the model constant it would be impossible to ever make a model because there are simply too many determining factors out there in the world. A statement about a casual relation between two states of affairs is ceteris paribus if it is acknowledged that the prediction can fail or the relation can be abolished by intervening factors (Schlicht).

I find this to be quite interesting because this makes me understand that the real world is so complicated, there must be formulas and descriptions to simplify not just economics, but life as well.

Entry Six

“Today is gonna be the day

That they’re gonna throw it back to you

By now you should’ve somehow

Realized what you gotta do

I don’t believe that anybody

Feels the way I do about you now”

Wonderwall- Oasis

Personally, music is more than just words being spoken. The sounds of drums and guitars are more than just people who are talented at what they do. Music, to me, is an escape from reality. No matter what kind of mood I am in, there is always a song that I can play which can change my mood in a second. The song above, Wonderwall, is something I will listen to if things are going my way, which usually does not happen too often. The words bring out meaning, but what meaning? To some, the words can mean exactly how they are said (or sang, for that matter) but to me, there are endless numbers of possibilities of what something can mean. It is up to interpretation, escaping reality for a short time.

Entry Seven

Gender Neutral Bathrooms:

We are a progressive society. There may be parts of this country that will not form to the ideas of, for lack of better words, morally responsible people, but gender neutral bathrooms is a stepping stone towards a brighter future. I wrote in a reading analysis how more and more teenagers are increasingly feeling more self-conscious of themselves because they either haven’t discovered who they are, they don’t know if other people will understand them, or they are simply being ridiculed because of their decision. We need a more diverse society or it is going to be too late. People argue that there will be a higher chance of a molester coming into a gender neutral bathroom, so lock the door. To me, it is as simple as that. As this country looks to become apart of history, truly accepting all, these little steps such as creating gender neutral bathrooms must be taken. 

Entry Eight

images

Sacrifice is something that should never be taken for granted. My father was an officer in the Navy and my brother enlisted in the Army, when I asked them why they wanted they wanted to serve, their responses were different. My father said that he wanted to make a difference while my brother said that he is fighting for everyone else.

Sacrifice is defined as “to give up something for something more important” (Cambridge.org). Being on the American University campus during the 2016 presidential election will definitely go down in history. We are one of the few schools where students decided to burn an American flag. Regardless if I am against burning a flag or not (or regardless if it is protected by the Flag Desecration Amendment), what is the motif behind it? Seeing videos of it just confused me as it did with many others. Expressing opinions is quite important and I stand by freedom of speech, but burning a symbol of freedom, a symbol of innocence and hardiness, and a symbol of justice, I leave this entry with one question, what was the point?

Entry Nine

“Checking your phone after someone else checks theirs is the yawn of our generation” (Lefevre 105).

I purchased a book over the summer called Straight to Hell. It is basically about a guy reminiscing about a bunch of moronic, drug-filled stories all because of his job. Regardless if the stories were appropriate or if they seemed to be grotesque, this quote seemed to have stuck with me (yes I remember it from the summer). It made me think about what kind of society we live in. People say our generation are so materialistic and we would die without technology, but who said this was a bad thing? People evolve, places evolve, and without a doubt things evolve. On the same page, Lefevre wrote how “As a society, we’re actually smarter than ever. It’s just that technology has given a voice to the unsophisticated masses.” As arrogant and self centered as this is, technology has given people who may be inept in a subject their own voice, but isn’t this just the process of becoming something great? It’s weird to think what technology has done for us in the past 10 years and what it will do in the next 10 years.

Entry Ten

Discuss this quote: [A]n education [. . .] that was designed to support a truly direct, deliberative democracy [. . .] would be an education oriented to the ‘strong publics’ of decision-making rather than the ‘weak publics’ of opinion formation. (205)

A public education is meant for all, the word ‘public’ is obviously the key word. A democracy created everyone to be equal, so who’s decision is it to say that one person is not able to attend? A public education is not only referring to elementary school, middle school, and high school, but I believe it can go as far as college. Already, the price of tuition for colleges and universities are way too high. Students that take out loans will be in debt years after graduating which will influence many prospective students to not attend. A different plan should be made rather than paying $50,000 a year to receive an education. But beyond this, the opinions that are formed in school are usually subtle. Over the years of receiving an education, I do not recall a time where I had to openly express an opinion. One of those reasons was due to the lack of diversity in schools and many people believed in the same things. There is always going to be the few who disagree with the public, but hiding their true colors is a safer way of doing things.