Annotated Bibliography

Fisher, Marc. “O Street Market: Symbol of Violence Becomes a Marker for D.C.’s Resurgence.” The Washington Post. The Washington Post, 2013. Web. Nov. 2016.

Background: This is possibly one of my favorite sources, not only did it help me with writing my papers, but it was the most interesting one as well. At the top of the article, it shows the two photos of the market on 7th and O Street, one in 1978 and the same one in 2013. It truly shows how much the area in and around itself has changed. This article also describes a story in the eyes of someone who had to witness the shooting that occurred in the 70’s.

I used this source in many ways. One of the first ways was to use the photo of what was then just a market in 1978. It shows the readers what life may have seemed like back then and what this place symbolized or was thought of. I also use this article by implementing the story through the eyes of James Simmons, a victim of the shooting. He tells us what he heard and what was going through his head which is seen in my final paper. I also use the information that this source describes as today and shows the gentrification over time.

Zillow, Inc. “Shaw Washington DC Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow.” Zillow. N.p., n.d. Web. Dec. 2016.

Argument: Zillow is a website that shows statistics of homes and areas throughout the country. Upon this website, you can look to buy, rent, sell, or get an estimate on properties, but I specifIcally used it for the pricing on areas in Shaw, Washington DC. I believe the best part about this website is being able to see the history of prices of homes and areas over the years. I was able to go back to the 2000’s to view the prices and to see how much has changed since then.

Although I used Zillow briefly in my final paper, I believe it served a big purpose. I was able to view the average price of monthly rent of a any home throughout the country and I compared that to the monthly rent of homes in Shaw, Washington DC. I concluded in the paper that Shaw was $1,000 more than the average monthly rent throughout the country. I also wrote the change in rent over the past years, increasing by approximately $1,000.

Meyer, Eugene L. “Washington’s Shaw Neighborhood Is Remade for Young Urbanites.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 2015. Web. Dec. 2016.

Background: This article from the New York Times is probably one of the most recently wrote articles that I used. It talks about a lot of statistics of people that lived in Shaw and the people that are living there currently. It describes the segregation of African Americans and whites in the past and tells the readers how was considered to be “Black Broadway”, with many famous African American performers such as Duke Ellington and Pearl Bailey.

I incorporate this information into my final paper by using the statistics described in the New York Times article. One quote from my paper that was one of the most important facts was the case study which showed “the percentage of households earning less than $40,000 ($20,000 for single people) dropped to 30 percents from 47 percent from 2002 to 2013” (nytimes.com). I continued to use this article to describe the newly gentrified, segregated Shaw neighborhood that is home to white, childless millennials, much different to what it once was.

“1968 Riots, Washington D.C.” YouTube. N.p., 2013. Web. 07 Dec. 2016.

Background: This is a terrifying video of what Shaw looked like during the riots. It seems like this could be in a horror film, but this was what Shaw truly looked like. On the YouTube video, we see the destruction from results of luting, setting fire to businesses, and crime in general. Using this video in my paper shows something that words cannot describe which I believe is something that people should see.

As terrifying as this is to look at, this video shows the true nature of people’s feelings towards other people. It shows what people are capable of and it shows the love for someone who was truly doing great things. One thing that I noticed was that it also shows how people can come back together from a time that everyone wishes they can erase from their minds. It shows the true nature of people working back together and trying to make a safer, healthier, and  overall better place to live. Shaw has had its ups and downs, this video is living proof of its worst downfall in history.

“Three Men Shot in Shaw, Police Say.” NBC4 Washington. N.p., 11 Aug. 2015. Web. Dec. 2016.

Argument: Although this is a short article, I believe its importance outweighs the quantity. For the entire course of the semester, I have been looking at a shooting that occurred many years ago on 7th and O Street in Shaw. A little over a year ago, there was another shooting that saw three men being shot right outside the what was then just a market. The Giant seems to be a place where death occurs and using more information of another shooting at the same location seems quite important to me.

As I stated above, I have been doing research about a Giant-turned grocery store. I was reading about how someone decided to shoot up the inside of a supermarket and then outside as well. This article seems to change things up quite a bit. We see what has unfolded only a year and a half ago, not only 3 miles away from where I am typing this now. The Giant is becoming a symbol of violence and death in my eyes and incorporating this into my paper is important as it shows that even in a gentrified area, crime still does occur.

Hermann, Peter. “ D.C. Police Arrest Suspect in Fatal Shooting during Dice Game in Shaw.” The Washington Post, 8 Aug. 2016, .

Argument: This article will be the most recent shooting that I will be using within my final paper. The article is about a teenager, Marcus Martin, who was charged for first degree murder. He, and two other people, were looking to rob people when they noticed some people gambling in a parking lot, those people were teenagers as well only playing dice.

In my final paper, I think it is important to show other crime that has been occurring throughout the Shaw neighborhood. I talk a lot about the riots that went on after the Martin Luther King Jr. assassination and I write about the crime that happened during and before that, but talking about current news is important. What I will show is that regardless of a gentrified area and regardless of how much safer it is now then what it is used to be, there will still always be heinous acts.  

“D.C. Market Shooting Kills 1, Injures 8.” Washington Post, The Washington Post,

Argument: This articles describes what occurred in 1990 in a shooting right outside the supermarket. The police said there were two men wearing ski masks when they went inside the food store and began to open fire on unarmed civilians. Eight people were injured and one young person passed, he was only 15 years old. The two shooters were reported to have just stepped inside the market before opening fire, they even wounded a 1 year old infant.

Reading about just another shooting that took place in Shaw, Washington DC makes me want to clench my fists. This market, a place where people by food to keep their lives going, seems to attract some sort of violence. Describing this shooting was just as difficult as the others, but it is also important to understand why this Giant is becoming a symbol of violence for Washington DC’s resurgence, especially “In a city where homicides are an almost daily occurrence and shootings happen often in many neighborhoods, last night’s incident stands out as unusual” (Washington Post).

“Home – Giant Food.” N.p., n.d. Web. Nov. 2016.

Exhibit: Although I did not include this into my final paper, I still believe that using this for my Digital Docs was important. On the website for Giant, it gives us all the information that is needed. It describes to use what we can buy from the Giant food store, it tells us recipes and what ingredients we need for those recipes, it tells us the nearest Shell gas station and what route would be the fastest to get there, but one thing that struck me was that there was no history of the stores itself.

I was not expecting a serious description on each Giant location in the United States, obviously, however background information on some of the bigger, more popular stores would be important. I do not believe they are trying to cover up anything, but I easily navigated through the website and to be honest, I was oblivious to the fact of what I was really looking for. Usually, the shootings that occurred at the 7th and O Street Giant was somewhere in the back of my head, but talking about their website and describing it on my Digital Doc made me completely unaware of what I was doing research on, which to me is surprising.  

Stein, Perry. “ Is Pricey Shaw a Model for Retaining Affordability amid Regentrification?” The Washington Post, 21 May 2016,

Argument: This article from the Washington Post questions whether or not Shaw is a model for retaining affordability amid regentrification. Although it is an interesting topic, I will be looking at the facts of what has becoming of Shaw. One of the most important pieces from this article that I will be taking away is “if Shaw wants to keep its remaining longtime residents, affordable housing must come quickly. The Shaw and Logan Circle neighborhoods, according to data from the Urban Institution, were 25 percent white in 2000. In 2010, they were 48 percent white, a share of the population that has only increased in the past five years.”

I will be using this as an argument as to what gentrification has done to Shaw. In the 1900’s, Shaw was known for being one of the most segregated areas in Washington DC, and looking at the statistics, it looks like segregation is approaching again, obviously it is not on purpose. I will be using the information that talks about how more low-income housing must be built in order to preserve and protect affordability.

Fenston, Jacob. “How The 1968 Riots Shaped Shaw | WAMU.” WAMU. N.p., n.d. Web.  Dec. 2016.

Argument: This article, written by Jacob Fenston, describes what Shaw really looked like after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. He describes to us how soldiers stood guard to make sure things do not get more out of hand than they already were. Fenston writes how it was like a war zone with luters, crime, and fires throughout the neighborhood. He also describes the events through the eyes of a man named Steve Souder. Souder was a radio broadcaster and the day of the assassination was also his first day of his new job.

I am incorporating this article into my final paper by using the details that Fenston writes about. I used specific quotes from Fenston’s article and included that toward the beginning of my final paper. By describing what Shaw looked like during these riots, we can get a sense of the true change and gentrification that occurred over time. We see the pain through the eyes of someone who truly witnessed it.

Areavibes. “Shaw, Washington, DC Crime.” Shaw, Washington, DC Crime Rates &Amp; Statistics,

Background: This is a great website for looking up the statistics of crime throughout any city. You can find facts about what kind of crime occurs throughout the day, you can compare cities and neighborhoods to others alike, and you can find other things such as the cost of living, education, and housing on an A through F grading system. Overall, this is a fantastic website to use, and particularly for me because crime is a big feature in my final analysis.

I use the areavibes website in the last paragraph of my final analysis. I believe it is a good way to conclude this paper as it sums up what gentrification has done for Shaw. I never state if what is occurring is a good or bad thing, I simply just lay down the facts of what is going on. I discovered and wrote in my paper how crime rate has gone down in Shaw over the years, however Shaw has 73 percent more crime than in other areas. There is a 1 in 21 percent chance that you will be involved in any sort of crime.