Annotated Bibliographies 9 & 10

“Vision and Mission.” Diversity & Inclusion | The George Washington University, The                                    George Washington University, diversity.gwu.edu/vision-and-mission. Accessed 1 May 2017.

As many colleges and universities currently have, the George Washington University has an office dedicated to racial and cultural diversity and inclusion. This office, effectively titled “the Office for Diversity, Equality, and Community Engagement”, has a website completely dedicated to their presence and operations at GW. This website goes over the mission of the office, as well as how they are attempting to achieve that mission in practice. One of the first pages you can visit on their website is their “Vision and Mission” page. This page explains the overall position which the office holds, and what they hope to accomplish. They also explain briefly why office exists, saying that they agree with the idea that an atmosphere of inclusion is mutually beneficial for both the establishment and those working/ studying there. After this explanation, they explain their vision, and then their mission statement. The entire web page is maybe a few hundred words, so not very long. They concisely get to the point, with little room for confusion or personal (possibly incorrect) interpretation.

Previously, although I acknowledged the presence of GW University on the hospital, I don’t feel that I gave it as much effort as I should have. As I mentioned in my first essay, the George Washington University is an essential aspect of the hospital, so the economic and political background of the students, faculty, and staff of the school should be heavily considered. However, what I neglected to pay attention to was the cultural and social background of these groups of people. The more I learn about the cultural history of DC, the more I begin to realize the GW Hospital and University may not be very representative of the city as a whole. This is argumentatively neither good nor bad, but it does bring many questions to the surface. If GW Hospital stands apart from the majority of the city, then perhaps what has previously been viewed as socially stunted is actually socially progressive. Understanding exactly where the hospital, and by default the school, is coming from may help put generate some answers for these questions. 

“25th And I St. NW.” Digital DC, The George Washington                                                                                 University, exhibits.library.gwu.edu/exhibits/show/digitaldc/foggy-bottom/25th-and-i-street-       nw. Accessed 1 May 2017.

“25th And I St. NW” is digital document which explains the effect of gentrification in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood of DC. Foggy Bottom, which is located in DC’s northwest quadrant, is home to GWU and GW Hospital. What was originally a lower class black community, has lately changed to a mostly middle and upper class white neighborhood. Like much of DC, Foggy Bottom has experienced substantial gentrification within the past 100 years. The point of “25th And I St. NW” is to help document these changes. Interestingly published by a subsidiary of GW University themselves, the piece discusses how the area has changed over the years. The piece also contains numerous pictures, building permits, maps, and newspaper articles pertaining to the changing landscape. The piece focuses on the changes which occurred in the 1950s and 60s, and makes little reference to the university or hospital nearby. However, it provides significant information about the changes to the area, which helped shape it into the foggy bottom of today.

I have been looking for a piece like this for awhile, so I’m glad I finally found one. Although the ultimate goal would be to find an article which talks directly about how GW has changed the area, this piece is still extremely useful. An added bonus of the piece would be the selection of pictures and external documents which help shed a light to the changing demographics of the area. It may just be coincidence, but it is interesting to me that there is little reference to the George Washington Hospital or University nearby, since the piece was published by the university. There is also limited reasoning provided as to why exactly the area began changing. It explains that newer residents of a higher socioeconomic status began moving to the area, but it does not give a reason as to why they began moving there. All that being said, I’m still incredibly thankful I found this piece. Information on Foggy Bottom specifically has been slightly challenging to find, and so this helps out alot. I previously read that DC was a predominantly black city, but I also read about how the GW Hospital was not hospital which tended to help clients of color or lower class. I was confused to as if Foggy Bottom had always been a whiter area, or if gentrification changed that. Thanks to this piece, I now have a clear answer to that question.