URBAN ART CULTURAL IMMERSION

By Kwesi Billups

My Cross-Cultural Communications professor has assigned a semester long cultural immersion project designed to help students develop intercultural literacy. My group for the assignment chose to research “Urban Art” culture to ultimately¬†identify the most common forms and messages in DC urban art, and connect our in-class themes to real-world findings. A firsthand analysis of the inspiration for the forms that urban artists use to export pertinent political and social themes would be invaluable in learning to recognize how rhetorical techniques are effective. Given that no concept can be defined without an equal and opposite relative, and the spectrum that lies between, my group has chosen to discuss the differences between museum art, which is more often viewed as professional, and street art, which is largely popular among underground audiences. As expressions of the human condition, rhetorical techniques are versatile in nature, and reflect the importance of context in defining content. This project will allow us to expand our methods of exploring diverse social situations.