annotated bibliographies 3 & 4

annotated bibliography 3:

King, Margaret J. The Power of Place. S.l.: Harper Perennial, 2007. The Power of Place: How Environment Affects Brain Function and Meaning. Web.

Method:

Margaret J. King, Ph.D., author of The Power of Place: How environment affects brain function and meaning, argues that our subconscious mind is highly sensitive and reactive towards our physical surroundings. King goes on to ask the audience to try a thought experience in order to further prove her point. She gives an example of mini-environments such as a conference room or swimming pool and explains how human behavior changes accordingly. King continues the conversation by looking further into the way places are arranged such as a chairs in a classroom. Rows compared to circle seating compared to group tables. Or how a theme park is set up. Experts have experimented that sound connects more with our brain centers than sight and gave the example of the music in a film and whether that signals our body to relax, frighten, leave, and so on.

I plan to use this argument to further my point about how our environment shapes who we are, and the people we become. Especially because coming to college I have noticed that I am a changed person. 

http://www.sensations3d.com/research/power_of_place.pdf

Frank, Lawrence D., and Peter Engelke. “Multiple Impacts of the Built Environment on Public Health:Walkable Places and the Exposure to Air Pollution.” International Regional Science Review. Vol. 28, no.2, 193-216.Apr. 2005. Web. 28 Mar. 2017.

Background:

Frank Lawrence received his Ph.D. at University of Washington and is currently a professor and bombardier chair at the University of British Columbia. Peter Engelke received his Ph.D. in history at Georgetown University and is currently working for the Atlantic Council’s Strategic Foresight Initiative. Lawrence and Engelke argue in their scholarly article that the design of every city has public health consequences. The auto dependence in a city due to limited opportunities to walkable stores, restaurants, and other places leads to obesity in the U.S. And therefore land use patterns and transportation investment shape our desire to walk or drive. Lawrence and Engelke go on to say that the elements of a built environment such as the placement of buildings, streets, and the general design can have powerful psychological effects on human senses. Fear of social isolation and physical safety are some that they mention. They define what a built environment is and public health and then connect the built environment to travel behavior, air quality, and physical activity and the various changes cities and humans can make to better themselves and the world.

This is a great source that connects to the scholarly article I mentioned above because generally speaking, they are the same topic but specifically talk about different issues in a built environment. I will use this source to further my argument by providing background information on the ways our built environment affects human health, not just our political views.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0160017604273853