NKLA

Commonplace 13:

http://nkla.org

This summer I wanted to give back at volunteer at Los Angeles’ No Kill Animal Shelter, also known as NKLA. I’ve been to this shelter many times before and tried to volunteer in the past but was too young. Now, being 19 years old, the sky is my limit, I can even run as a front desk position. When applying to volunteer, I found the process very easy to navigate. You fill out a form, confirm your email, set up an account, and sign up for a volunteer orientation that is 2 hours long. The volunteer orientation ensures that you know exactly what you’re signing up for and how to do it. If you are volunteering to play with the dogs and take them on walks you must know which ones get along and how to properly walk and handle a dog outside of the shelter. If you are volunteering at the front desk you must have excellent communication skills and be as informative as possible when visitors come.

I also wanted to mention the website and persuasive it is. When you open the link the first thing you see is a cute, sad dog, his eyes begging and his heart heavy. The picture then slides to the left and a kitten appears, so innocent and vulnerable. The website is very well organized and easy to find exactly what you’re looking for.