Values Assessment Exercise

The personal values assessment exercise shed light on the root causes of some of my decision-making processes and helped me to organize my beliefs in such a way that taught me a bit more about myself. Simply organizing the many words proved to be a challenge, given that some were quite similar and others seemed to be of equal importance; however, I had quickly and easily chosen and organized my top five values to be family, friendship, community, compassion, and personal growth. Before collaborating with others on a problem I must consider the possibility of my values differing greatly with those of others, and that understanding the differences in their decision-making as well as compromising is important in reaching the best solution. With regard to my own process of problem solving I see that I am greatly motivated and influenced by my desire to please the people whom I love. This proves to be a powerful influence even beyond academic and ethical decisions in my life. An additional influence of mine is personal growth, but all of these factors motivate me to find solutions that properly balance personal benefit with the benefit of my loved ones. For this reason it is difficult to choose which of my top five values could be disregarded most easily. Although, I am certain that my family and friends would never be disregarded, for their love and support is of highest importance to me and validates my personal growth.

One thought on “Values Assessment Exercise

1. Hey Lydia,

Your post is short but it’s absolutely packed with interesting claims. I wanted to tease out a couple of them and ask you to expand!

You define your values of family and friendship in two ways. First, you describe a desire to please your loved ones. Second, you describe the love and support as important and validating. The first description makes me wonder where obligation and responsibility ranked in your list. Do you remember? The second description makes me wonder what your thought process on recognition was. I found myself really struggling with the idea of recognition, but when put in terms of validation, it veritably sky rocketed up my list.

I’m quite impressed at the balance of other and self focused values that comprise your top 5. I say balance because I think a 4:1 ratio is pretty strong. You really took a long look at family and personal growth, but can you tell me a little bit more about these other-focused values? What do friendship, community, and compassion mean to you? How do they work together? How do they play a role in your approach to decision-making?

Thanks for posting!

Kylie