Digital Archives: The O Street Market

This is the view from the doorway of the Market, looking across O Street. The bikeshare is in view, a classic example of the new-found "trendiness" of this neighborhood.
This is the view from the doorway of the Market, looking across O Street. The bikeshare is in view, a classic example of the new-found “trendiness” of this neighborhood.
I took this picture in an effort to show the juxtaposition between the restored original O Street Market building and the brand new apartments that have sprung up next to it. I can't stop looking at the very corner of the two buildings where they almost meet; the original brick is worn down and corroded, creating an almost pink, crumbled image, whereas the new building is impeccably straight. There's a metaphor in there somewhere...
I took this picture in an effort to show the juxtaposition between the restored original O Street Market building and the brand new apartments that have sprung up next to it. I can’t stop looking at the very corner of the two buildings where they almost meet; the original brick is worn down and corroded, creating an almost pink, crumbled image, whereas the new building is impeccably straight. There’s a metaphor in there somewhere…
This picture shows the original print of the O Street Market; this is the part of the building that was not destroyed by fire or riots. Clearly, the door, window, and electrical lamp have all been replaced, but I think it's cool to see that original paint still on the brick (even though you can see the Giant sign in the background).
This picture shows the original print of the O Street Market; this is the part of the building that was not destroyed by fire or riots. Clearly, the door, window, and electrical lamp have all been replaced, but I think it’s cool to see that original paint still on the brick (even though you can see the Giant sign in the background).
Here is the street sign for the corner on which the Market sits. Peep the Howard sign in the background, as well as the American and DC flags.
I took this picture standing at the corner behind the building. As you can see, it's a massive structure--it basically takes up the entire block. I was immediately struck by the stark contrast of the worn, deep, red brick and the rich green doors (now sealed permanently).
I took this picture standing at the corner behind the building. As you can see, it’s a massive structure–it basically takes up the entire block. I was immediately struck by the stark contrast of the worn, deep, red brick and the rich green doors (now sealed permanently).

Loie Faulkner

About Loie Faulkner

My name is Loie M. Faulkner. I am 18 years old, very blonde, and I am never not laughing. I'm from Ithaca, New York, the tiny liberal bubble in the middle of Upstate New York. I'm a Psychology major at American University with a passion for choral music and an unquenchable fervor for dogs.